Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Question about Tuning/Tuners and Race Gas in VA

Old 09-22-2008, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pumpkin head is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about Tuning/Tuners and Race Gas in VA

Hey guys I just have a few questions and hopefully some of you can help me.

I may be moving down to Mechanicsville/Richmond Area and wanted to know what octane race gas is available in the area? and how much it is going for. I don't mind having to drive a bit if need be either (VA Beach etc)
Up here in AK I have access to VP Racing 109 which is $12.50/gal, Torco 108 Unleaded (for a little while at least heh) for $12/gal, Tryck and Sunoco 104 at the track for I think $9/gal or the good ol AvGas (100 LL) for like, 5 or 6 bucks a gallon.

I would also like to know if there are any HKS authorized dealers or the like in the area. I have HKS Fcon VPRO so [as far as I know] I can only have hks dealers touch it. I could probably get it tuned up here before I leave, but if the same gas isn't available down there then I guess it won't help much.
Guess I"m stuck in a pickle more or less :S

Oh and to clarify, 93 is available at the pump, correct?

I would appreciate any and all help. Thanks Guys/Gals.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:37 AM
BLACK POWER

FO SHZLE FO SHZLE FO SHZLE FO SHZLE FO SHZLE FO SHZLE FO SHZLE FO SHZLE FO SHZLE FO SHZLE FO SHZLE
Default Re: Question about Tuning/Tuners and Race Gas in VA

93 is available at most pumps and dont quote me but i think theres a few places to get 109
Old 09-23-2008, 01:23 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

You can buy Torco and mix your own if you're feeling froggy.

93 mostly everywhere and I know places like Race Way on McGruder have higher octane (100+)
Old 09-23-2008, 01:32 AM
BLACK POWER

FO SHZLE FO SHZLE FO SHZLE FO SHZLE FO SHZLE FO SHZLE FO SHZLE FO SHZLE FO SHZLE FO SHZLE FO SHZLE

Originally Posted by Lord Humongous
You can buy Torco and mix your own if you're feeling froggy.

93 mostly everywhere and I know places like Race Way on McGruder have higher octane (100+)
Raceway on Mcgruder no longer sells anything 100+
Old 09-23-2008, 01:40 AM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

I think there are a couple places in richmond that sell sunoco race gas. I buy sunoco 116 here in Fredericksburg for $9/gal and 110 is I believe $7/gal.

What kind of car do you have an FCon on? RX7 or Skyline? I've messed with one before but he had the handheld thing. There is a place in DC that has the software for the FCon, Altered Atmosphere I believe has it.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:47 AM
Registered Member

pumpkin head is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HighPSI TSi Guy
I buy sunoco 116 here in Fredericksburg for $9/gal and 110 is I believe $7/gal.
Holy crap are you shitting me. God AK sucks with gas. 109 like I said is $12.50 up here. $9/gal on C16 is cake.

Originally Posted by HighPSI TSi Guy
What kind of car do you have an FCon on? RX7 or Skyline?
haha...I wish. How about a Focus haha I know I know laugh it up
Old 09-23-2008, 06:14 AM
Registered Member

B13SER has disabled reputation

There is a drag race shop in Mechanicsville that sells race gas in 5-10 gal containers. I have only been in there a few times but its in a blue can and for what I remember a fair price. I am sorry that I dont remember the name of the shop at the moment. Maybe someone here can chime in. It would be very near Zip corvette.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:49 AM
I <3 My DSM

SPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud of

a few sunoco and texaco's around va beach have 110 and 112 octane...its where we go to buy our race fuel for the drag cars....im not sure what the price is onit right now though....
Old 09-23-2008, 07:02 AM
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE

I get cam2 110oct at BP on 17rt. George washington right off 64 for $6.50. bring a gas tank though.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Of all the solutions for standalone ECUs, why did you pick one of the only ones in the world with no customer software access? I know HKS wants their customers to feel special and all that stuff, but the truth is that there isn't anything magic about the FCON VPRO, and any competent tuner can tune any other unit on the market just as well. I work for an ECU company, and know more about engine management strategy than most of the tuners in the country (they do much more tuning, but I make the actual algorithms that run the engine) and I wouldn't be able to use the HKS software because of their restrictions. That's kinda stupid. I think that's why not many people in the country know about or want to touch that ECU, there isn't any reason to choose that over any other unit on the market. This isn't directed at the OP at all, I'm just not on board with how HKS does stuff a lot of the time. But, you have it and it works, so use it.

Quick Reply: Question about Tuning/Tuners and Race Gas in VA