Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Question about getting wheels painted.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:39 PM
Eat me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta
Default Question about getting wheels painted.

I'm thinking about ordering enkei rpf-1's soon, but the only thing that sucks, is that they don't come in black... and i happened to see this on honda-tech a few weeks ago...

needless to say, i think they're hot as shit. I'm a little hesitant about getting brandnew wheels painted. but i do have a few questions about it.... were those above powdercoated or painted? i am clueless when it comes to this as i don't know shit about paint/powdercoat...

so basically, what would need to be done to a regular set of the rpf-1s to get them to look like that, and what shop around here(757) could do that... and how much would pricing cost?
Old 08-30-2006, 05:13 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod
Default Re: Question about getting wheels painted.

You can't really tell by looking at the picture, if I saw it in person I could tell you.

It looks thick(i.e. orange peel in the picture) but that could be the powdercoat, or just too thick of a layer of paint.

I think the silver ones would look dank on your car.

You getting 16s or 15s? Who mounts your tires? Do you curb?

You can get away with painting the wheels, you just have to be easy on them as far as mounting and what you run over. Haha.

I may know someone who could do it for you, I'll hit you up on AIM.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

Get them powdercoated. Paint will last for a while, but a powdercoat finish is much more durable.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

Powdercoat them black, most shops have black in stock which is cheaper.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:52 PM
EMF Member #12

brnzbuddha has a reputation beyond reputebrnzbuddha has a reputation beyond reputebrnzbuddha has a reputation beyond reputebrnzbuddha has a reputation beyond reputebrnzbuddha has a reputation beyond reputebrnzbuddha has a reputation beyond reputebrnzbuddha has a reputation beyond reputebrnzbuddha has a reputation beyond reputebrnzbuddha has a reputation beyond reputebrnzbuddha has a reputation beyond repute

Powdercoat them. When we used to disassemble and send off paintball guns for powdercoating, they would do some crazy finish on them. They guarantee it to be scratch proof. We keyed the side of some guns and they didn't scratch at all.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:06 PM
throwbAcura

dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22

I got my wheels done for $50 each here. You'll get a nice, glossy, durable finish. There's speculation about powdercoat weakening wheels with the high heat, but I never experienced anything like that and I was HARD on my car. And RPF-1s aren't exactly Slipstreams.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:20 PM
Eat me.

Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta

Here's the wheels(original) that i'll be ordering in a couple weeks... If you notice in the black ones above, the enkei stickers were red on there... well i want to still have the brand shown on the rim in probably white or something along those lines after it's all said and done. Would i just need to contact enkei or something?

Jarrod, i'm going with 15's. I'm just going to go ahead and order the rims soon. Then decide on which tires i want, i found a site that had a good deal on Kuhmo MX's in the size i want, so i may go with those, but i'm still not sure quite yet. And i have no idea who i'll have mount them for me, any places you all recommend that won't damage the wheel?

and i'm still not sure if i should get them powdercoated black or not... what do you all think?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:23 PM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

What size are you looking for/what do you want out of the tire?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:26 PM
throwbAcura

dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22

I'd try silver first and then make a final decision when the first set of tires are ready to go.

And if you can't get the decals from Enkei I'm sure you could have some made.

Also, make sure you get the +35s.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Eat me.

Originally Posted by Topik
What size are you looking for/what do you want out of the tire?
205/50-55/15's

I want them to not wear out superfast, and out perform Yokohama Parada Spec-2's as far as dry conditions are concerned. I'll also be autocrossing my car eventually once again YAY

Quick Reply: Question about getting wheels painted.