Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

question about amp wattage

Old 02-17-2005, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kingkoopa15 has disabled reputation
Default question about amp wattage

im not sure which forum to post this in so im posting it in two.. whichever one isnt in the suitable forum please delete it.

10in sub = 250W peak.. i have 2 of them

if i get an amp to power these to the max do i get a 500W amp to power the combined wattage of the subs.. or a 250W amp to power the peak of one sub?

im thinking i get a 250W for them.. and if i bridge them to get a 500W.. but im not sure.. someone please help me.. i dont want to fuck up my subs by pushing too much power to them..
Old 02-17-2005, 07:38 PM
Im Red Bitches

monopolizedinc is infamous around these partsmonopolizedinc is infamous around these partsmonopolizedinc is infamous around these partsmonopolizedinc is infamous around these partsmonopolizedinc is infamous around these partsmonopolizedinc is infamous around these partsmonopolizedinc is infamous around these partsmonopolizedinc is infamous around these partsmonopolizedinc is infamous around these partsmonopolizedinc is infamous around these partsmonopolizedinc is infamous around these parts
Default Re: question about amp wattage

if you run the peak power to them on a regular you will blow them prety fast even faster if they are lower quality subs match it closer to the rms ratings
Old 02-17-2005, 07:55 PM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage

Generally it's recommended that you drive all of your speakers and subs with at least 70% of their maximum RMS (not peak) rating. The closer to 100% you power them, the harder they hit and the better they sound.

Don't forget that the power you realize from your amp depends on the impedance of the speakers- wired in series you just add the resistance, wired in parallel you take the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals.

Hope this helps
Old 02-17-2005, 07:59 PM
JAY SPEC

00civichatch 00civichatch

Originally Posted by vmspionage
Generally it's recommended that you drive all of your speakers and subs with at least 70% of their maximum RMS (not peak) rating. The closer to 100% you power them, the harder they hit and the better they sound.

Don't forget that the power you realize from your amp depends on the impedance of the speakers- wired in series you just add the resistance, wired in parallel you take the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals.

Hope this helps
just dont take the advise of the car audio guy at best buy .. half the time they have no clue what the fuck they are talking about.. my $0.02
Old 02-17-2005, 08:06 PM

but should i get an amp that powers the peak wattage of one sub (250W) or an amp that powers the combined wattage of the peak of the 2 subs (500W)

that was really my question...

theyre BOSS 10inch subs with a 250W peak if that helps out any..
Old 02-17-2005, 08:09 PM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage

Originally Posted by kingkoopa15
but should i get an amp that powers the peak wattage of one sub (250W) or an amp that powers the combined wattage of the peak of the 2 subs (500W)

that was really my question...

theyre BOSS 10inch subs with a 250W peak if that helps out any..
Don't look at peak wattage, that doesn't tell you shit. They are probably like 100W RMS each, so I definatly wouldn't go higher than 200W RMS. A 500W peak amp would probably be pushing it for those speakers.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:49 PM
live by the 4 B's

integr8ted has disabled reputation

yea no more than 500 watts but be carefully some amps can be not rated....like i have an amp that is rated at 150 watts but it can peak at 900 watts ...this is usually the case with high quality brands like fosgate, jl, precision audio......o and you never want to push wyour amp at full power for long periods of time also another thing to get would be a capacitor to stop your interior lights from blinking when bass hits spen the extra dollars on a 50 dollar cap than a 200 dollar alternator i'd go 1 farad to be safe
Old 02-17-2005, 09:10 PM

im going with this amp more than likely. 1. because ive heard nothing but good thigns about rockford.. and 2. it doesnt cost very much.

what do you think?

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...h%20Amplifiers
Old 02-18-2005, 05:06 AM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

very good choice of amps imo, now start saving for some better speakers
Old 02-18-2005, 06:22 AM
Hot Seduction: Vol 1

1badITR can only hope to improve

Power does not kill speakers, distortion does. You would be better off running a 250 watt sub with a 350 watt amp instead of a 150 watt amp.

Quick Reply: question about amp wattage