Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

powerstroke diesel question: 7.3L or 6.0L

Old 10-25-2010, 07:12 PM
ladies love my foam.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam
Default powerstroke diesel question: 7.3L or 6.0L

ok so im in the market for an F-250 / F350 single rear wheel. what i cannot decide is what to go with as far as year / engine. i've heard horror stories about the 7.3L transmission and 6.0L headstuds / EGR system.

on one side i want something a little newer (looking at an 05 crew cab) and on the other side i also want something reliable.

opinions? thoughts? experiences? anything would be helpful
Old 10-25-2010, 07:16 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: powerstroke diesel question: 7.3L or 6.0L

7.3 all the way..

and www.dieselbombers.com
Old 10-25-2010, 07:16 PM
ladies love my foam.

Originally Posted by nftuatn
7.3 all the way..

and www.dieselbombers.com
any particular reasons?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Registered member

ferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iFoam
ok so im in the market for an F-250 / F350 single rear wheel. what i cannot decide is what to go with as far as year / engine. i've heard horror stories about the 7.3L transmission and 6.0L headstuds / EGR system.

on one side i want something a little newer (looking at an 05 crew cab) and on the other side i also want something reliable.

opinions? thoughts? experiences? anything would be helpful
working at a ford dealership for 10+ years people swear by the 7.3 being the one to have, the 6.0's you either had a good one or you got a bad one the tranny's on the 7.3 had some problems but they've offered a HD tranny for a replacement for awhile and if the tranny has ever been replaced its probably had a HD replacement which i havent heard any bad things about them.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Registered member

ferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond repute

Also something to consider diesel's are expensive to maintain and if and when something breaks everything is expensive lol. Well take that back they are if you bring them to a stealership (maintaince wise). parts are expensive reguardless.

Last edited by ferio; 10-25-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:23 PM
ladies love my foam.

Originally Posted by ferio
working at a ford dealership for 10+ years people swear by the 7.3 being the one to have, the 6.0's you either had a good one or you got a bad one the tranny's on the 7.3 had some problems but they've offered a HD tranny for a replacement for awhile and if the tranny has ever been replaced its probably had a HD replacement which i havent heard any bad things about them.
so a 6.0 w/ 200k on it... company vehicle... bone stock... clean carfax.... all service records....original owner NADA $20k+... getting it for $12k

or a 7.3 w/ 150k on it.... dealership... clean carfax.... NADA $14k... getting it for $11k

which sounds like a better deal

Originally Posted by ferio
Also something to consider diesel's are expensive to maintain and if and when something breaks everything is expensive lol
oh im not too worried about that... i just am trying to minimize potential catastrophes.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by iFoam
so a 6.0 w/ 200k on it... company vehicle... bone stock... clean carfax.... all service records....original owner NADA $20k+... getting it for $12k

or a 7.3 w/ 150k on it.... dealership... clean carfax.... NADA $14k... getting it for $11k

which sounds like a better deal

oh im not too worried about that... i just am trying to minimize potential catastrophes.
7.3 sounds like a better deal because it was probably someone's personal truck that someone traded in. the other one is a company truck, alot of miles and depending on what all the service records contain. If its a 6.0 that had alot of recall work (head gaskets, egr, etc etc) its prolly one of the not so good 6.0's. Like i said the 6.0's were a hit or miss i've had people that hate them and wish they never got the truck and i've had people say its better than the 7.3 and have had no problems out of theirs.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:34 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

im going to buy a truck tomorrow that has a locked up 6.0 and im putting a 7.3 in it...or a cummins...
Old 10-25-2010, 07:38 PM
ladies love my foam.

Originally Posted by nftuatn
im going to buy a truck tomorrow that has a locked up 6.0 and im putting a 7.3 in it...or a cummins...
haha let me buy it
Old 10-25-2010, 07:39 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

hells to the naw...its already scheduled for pickup...leaving first thing in the am..

Quick Reply: powerstroke diesel question: 7.3L or 6.0L