Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Pontiac: Tits up?

Old 04-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie
Default Re: Pontiac: Tits up?

Originally Posted by ShawnD
Get rid of everything except the name Chevrolet, its all the same shit. Ive never understood aliases.
While you as a car guy know they are all made by the same people with a lot of the same parts and share platforms, a lot of consumers do not. There are people that think a Pontiac is much superior to a chevy.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkie
While you as a car guy know they are all made by the same people with a lot of the same parts and share platforms, a lot of consumers do not. There are people that think a Pontiac is much superior to a chevy.
It reminds me of the first racist joke I heard as a kid. lolz
Old 04-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by ShawnD
Get rid of everything except the name Chevrolet, its all the same shit. Ive never understood aliases.
That's one of the reasons that GM is thinking about axing them. Pontiac has a very clear lack of brand identity.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

max671 max671 max671 max671 max671 max671 max671 max671 max671 max671 max671

I never really understood the reason to have so many brands under one umbrella. Cadillac and Chevy, yes, everything else is just unnecessary. The whole identity thing to me is harmful, instead of having a cheap, lower-quality (perceived) brand like Saturn, they could sell that same car as an "economic" Chevy that would have an inherent reputation. Now they're spread thinner trying to generate all these different levels on one platform, when they could just keep it simple and probably end up marketing better. I do think Pontiac was probably the only brand they could've held onto though, it's got a lot of history in American culture. But Hummer, Saturn? Would anyone give a shit?
Old 04-25-2009, 02:38 AM
#XV

El Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by max671
I never really understood the reason to have so many brands under one umbrella. Cadillac and Chevy, yes, everything else is just unnecessary. The whole identity thing to me is harmful, instead of having a cheap, lower-quality (perceived) brand like Saturn, they could sell that same car as an "economic" Chevy that would have an inherent reputation. Now they're spread thinner trying to generate all these different levels on one platform, when they could just keep it simple and probably end up marketing better. I do think Pontiac was probably the only brand they could've held onto though, it's got a lot of history in American culture. But Hummer, Saturn? Would anyone give a shit?
Actually, Saturn did very well at establishing its own brand identity from the very beginning.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:08 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Yes, Saturn had a good brand identity for a long time, but now I think it's been diluted and doesn't really stand out any more. They don't really do anything that stands out any more it seems like, except being known for pretty good customer service.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:58 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Well they just announced, 21,000 jobs and pontiac to get the axe
Old 04-27-2009, 05:09 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

I really like the Saturn Sky over the Solstice in styling.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:34 AM
Registered member

Feffman Feffman Feffman Feffman Feffman Feffman Feffman Feffman Feffman Feffman Feffman

I thought GM would axe GMC, rolling it into Chevy and keep Pontiac as its "Sport" division. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me with the GXP, Solstice, etc. that seem to be good cars. Wonder if some of those will end up under other GM brands??!!

Feff
Old 04-27-2009, 05:52 AM
Zombies found Waldo

buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie

That sucks. I guess now would be the time to go buy a G8. GM should still warranty the car after pontiac goes under correct?