Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Opinions on very different cars

Old 08-21-2004, 03:28 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey
Default Opinions on very different cars

Alright I know people hate these type of threads, but I'd like to hear some educated responses. Maybe some of you have experiences with any of these cars. I plan on selling or trading in my 2003 GTI 1.8t to get one of the following cars. I'd like to know what people think of the cars other than looks. I like the looks/performance of all 'em, so thats a non-issue to me...neither is insurance. Other issue, I'd like to stay below $25k, but a little more is definetly doable considering my payments for the current car are $450/mo. Here are the finalists (and they're all used):
-Honda S2000
-VW R32
-Camaro or T/A ('98+ LS1 only please)

Others I'm considering but haven't driven:
-350z
-'99-00 FRC C5 (can't quite do a ZO6)
-Audi S4 (2.7tt)

Final Option: Keep current GTI and build drivetrain and do a large turbo upgrade. The only reason I hate this option is that I want a RWD or AWD car. I could make mine AWD, but it's costly and it'd be cheaper in the long run to just get a R32.

More stuff to consider: I know there are other cars in the price range that I can get that people gravitate towards such as Supras or RX7s, but I don't want to get a 10 year old car that still cost me $20k. I'm also not interested in any form of a mustang...I'm just not a fan. So if anyone has any intelligent ideas, post 'em up.

Last edited by Corey; 08-21-2004 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:30 PM
VA

travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd
Default Re: Opinions on very different cars

Ls1
Old 08-21-2004, 03:31 PM
Eat me.

Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta

i'd say R32 to be honest, like you noted last night(i think it was you anyways), you haven't seen an s2k break out of the 13s. r32 seems it would have a lot of potential and there's not as many of them around here as there are ls1s.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:34 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Originally Posted by travisnd
Ls1
any reasons other than flat out speed? I'm not a fan of their drive train reliability, but that can be changed for $2k. If I were to get one, I'd want to do the domestic thing (heads/cam) which IMO is too much for the weak rear-end to handle.

If I were to get a s2k though, I wouldn't want to go crazy with speed mods so I wouldn't be as worried about rear-diff problems.

I know that any car has its limits and thats why I'm posted here. The cars I listed have different purposes and will get treated/beat-on differently I'm sure.

Jimmy, good points. I'd think I'd like to stay VW...that's what's pulling me towards the R32.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

Fat Nick Fat Nick Fat Nick Fat Nick Fat Nick Fat Nick

Out of all of those I've driven a LS1 Z28 A4 and M6 as well as a 350Z M6. The LS1 has a lot of torque to pin you back in the seat. But as a every-day driver I couldn't stand the seats or the headroom or the long 6spd throws. The 350Z, is a cool car, I really liked it and wanted to get one of these when I was shopping for the Mustang. I test drove a 04 Track model fully loaded. The sticker was $35k, a little more than I could afford, but I wanted to drive it. It has a smooth ride for a sports car, handles like a dream, and had quite a few luxury features to it, and is quick w/a nice stock exhaust note. Basically I picked the GT because the performance is about what a 350Z is, and I got it for $18k fully loaded as a demo. I would've rather had the 350Z, but they weren't willing to give me the credit for it and wasn't negotiable in price. Now I'm glad I have the GT, I really like it now over the 350Z. I didn't want the LS1's due to the fact they were used, cost $22 and 23k, and I didn't really liked the way they drove.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:40 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Good points Nick.

added 2.7tt S4 to my options. Hell, Audi is a VAG company. Also adding keep my car and build drivetrain/upgrade turbo.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slimstajimsta5
i'd say R32 to be honest, like you noted last night(i think it was you anyways), you haven't seen an s2k break out of the 13s. r32 seems it would have a lot of potential and there's not as many of them around here as there are ls1s.
R32's aren't real quick stock, 14.3?
Old 08-21-2004, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

Also, why are you going to trade a 03 year car? You will be surprised at what little $ they give you for it, and w/your payment being $450 a month, more than likely it has high interest, which will put you upside down in your new loan and make your new car have to cost less.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:48 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Originally Posted by Fat Nick
R32's aren't real quick stock, 14.3?
There are quite a few 13s cars on vwvortex. For some reason it always seems to me that magazine editors can't drive VW when they are testing them. I ran a 15.0 with my car first time on the track with it. I've never seen that low in a magazine. After some practice, I got it down to 14.87. Who knows, maybe I got a freak car, but I tend not to believe in that shit seeing as how it could only make maybe 10hp more or so. That slight increase shouldn't give me ½ second increase though.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Originally Posted by Fat Nick
Also, why are you going to trade a 03 year car? You will be surprised at what little $ they give you for it, and w/your payment being $450 a month, more than likely it has high interest, which will put you upside down in your new loan and make your new car have to cost less.
1.9% interest on my car. It was near $25k. I'd be selling it outright more than likely. I owe just over $18k and its worth about $15-16k on trade in and about $18k retail (this is all NADA of course)

Quick Reply: Opinions on very different cars