Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Is NOS truely Illegal?

Old 11-22-2004, 08:00 AM
Srsly.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Is NOS truely Illegal?

how many of these thread do we really need?
Old 11-22-2004, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

fmstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

dunno how many, i doubt this will be the last thread, but i'm interested about the comment about insurance companies...

i have nitrous on my car, as far as i know my company (AllState) doesn't care. Not that I've told them about it, but they know that my car is modified and they say as long as I have receipts / pictures they will cover any and all modifications
Old 11-22-2004, 11:53 AM
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by SLOW_GTP
It actually varies from state to state. In MI it is legal to drive around with it, as long as you are not purging.
So spraying is ok, but purging is forbidden?

Cool.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:51 PM
gyl
Registered Member

gyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these parts

ok..i work with a officer everyday...here is what he told me on the matter...to have it hooked up and readily useable in your car,yes it's illegal.if you have it mounted...in your car bottle mounted somewhere out of reach of you(the driver) and have the bottle turned off and the line disconnected it is fine.btw...it is not up to insurance companies to tell you what is legal or otherwise...if you are unsure contact the traffic division of your local precinct and ask them about the specific laws in question.

Last edited by gyl; 11-22-2004 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:10 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Originally Posted by fmstatic
dunno how many, i doubt this will be the last thread, but i'm interested about the comment about insurance companies...
I'm that certain adjuster... allstate doesn't know about it, but if you filed a claim and they saw it they'd cover you, then send you a nice "start looking for another insurance provider" letter most likely. Street racing losses are becoming a huge problem and modding cars is becoming the racial profiling of autos. If your car is modded for performance you probably didn't do it b/c it looks cool, you want the car to handle better, accelerate quicker... all characteristics that in the long run lead to more accidents etc. You yourself may be a great driver, but the other 10 punks w/ juiced civics are douches and can't drive and get in wrecks.

Basically on the whole it's becoming unprofitable for us to insure heavily modded cars and we don't want to business. It hurts the people that are safe and take it to the track, but honestly we don't give a shit, no insurance company does. If a certain characteristic is loosing us money, then we really don't care for the business.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:16 PM
Cruising @ 8000ft

hatch77 is an unknown quantity at this point

hear hear! who needs insurance anyways?!
Old 11-22-2004, 01:27 PM
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by hatch77
hear hear! who needs insurance anyways?!
fuckin' right. pussies.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

When you get in a wreck and homeboy sues you for pain and suffering and wins... then your wages are garnished forever. Or when you have state minimums and you total a semi... yeah you're fucked.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:30 PM
SPAWN OF A NEW OP!

THE BEAST is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I'm that certain adjuster... allstate doesn't know about it, but if you filed a claim and they saw it they'd cover you, then send you a nice "start looking for another insurance provider" letter most likely. Street racing losses are becoming a huge problem and modding cars is becoming the racial profiling of autos. If your car is modded for performance you probably didn't do it b/c it looks cool, you want the car to handle better, accelerate quicker... all characteristics that in the long run lead to more accidents etc. You yourself may be a great driver, but the other 10 punks w/ juiced civics are douches and can't drive and get in wrecks.

Basically on the whole it's becoming unprofitable for us to insure heavily modded cars and we don't want to business. It hurts the people that are safe and take it to the track, but honestly we don't give a shit, no insurance company does. If a certain characteristic is loosing us money, then we really don't care for the business.
to further comment on what Brian said....
Unless you have racing insurance, there is no insurance company that will knowingly give you an insurance policy or continue insure you if you have nitrous on your car. Yes, whoever you have for insurance may cover your nitrous if you get into an accident (because they dont know about it), but go ahead and start looking for a policy somewhere else b/c they will send you one of those nice "get insurance somewhere else letters".

As for all the other mods on your car, it is in your best interest to take pictures, get receipts and make sure that your insurance company is aware of those items. They may not pay for them- including your 18" rims. The insurance companies are starting to crack down on any modifications done to your car beyond the way it came from the factory.

-slowly you will feel the noose get tighter!!!

Now is it really worth your time or money to hide the fact that you have nitrous on your car...come one, you'll still be slow, not know how to drive, and not in the movies!
Old 11-22-2004, 02:33 PM
i got 5 on it

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
When you get in a wreck and homeboy sues you for pain and suffering and wins... then your wages are garnished forever. Or when you have state minimums and you total a semi... yeah you're fucked.
Not if I don't 'legally' have a job.