Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Next great swap motor? Thoughts on where we are headed...

Old 11-07-2009, 11:06 PM
mmmmmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake
Default Next great swap motor? Thoughts on where we are headed...

So I was having a conversation with myself the past few days about what the next amazing motor swap will be. We all know and understand why the LS swap has taken over for not just drifting but pretty much everything.

Any thoughts on what the next big motor will be to sweep the crossbreeds.

I have pretty much come up with nothing that could beat out the LS motors. We know at some point everyone is going to start saying the LS is played out and people will move on to something new.

But the question is what.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:26 PM
(°____°)

VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom
Default Re: Next great swap motor? Thoughts on where we are headed...

honda d-series, they can be used for uber drifts
Old 11-08-2009, 02:25 AM
Flesh Into Gear.

kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa

Well cost efficiency takes a big part as well. LS motors are becoming more abundant. Sure I could throw a 4-rotor wenkle in a Miata, would it be cost efficient? Probably not. Would it be fun and probably worth it? Fuck yeah.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:37 AM
Awesome

RtryPwr RtryPwr RtryPwr RtryPwr RtryPwr RtryPwr RtryPwr RtryPwr RtryPwr RtryPwr RtryPwr

Its Wankel.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:59 AM
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE

wankle is coming back.....fuck yeah
Old 11-08-2009, 05:19 AM
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded

Originally Posted by RE-SPECGARAGE
The rotary will never be a popular engine because the fuel economy sucks.

Chevy V8 swaps have gone into other cars since there have been Chevy V8s. Even when the 240Z was a new car a company called Scarab was swapping in Chevy small blocks.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:26 AM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

Originally Posted by kanadaa
Well cost efficiency takes a big part as well. LS motors are becoming more abundant. Sure I could throw a 4-rotor wenkle in a Miata, would it be cost efficient? Probably not. Would it be fun and probably worth it? Fuck yeah.
my buddy is swapping a rotary into his car, not a 4 rotor though

Originally Posted by RtryPwr
Its Wankel.
lolz

Originally Posted by RE-SPECGARAGE
just like the beta max and 45 records!
Old 11-08-2009, 05:37 AM
Awesome

RtryPwr RtryPwr RtryPwr RtryPwr RtryPwr RtryPwr RtryPwr RtryPwr RtryPwr RtryPwr RtryPwr

Originally Posted by 93sr-5ftw

just like the beta max and 45 records!
Haha. Yeah the rotary platform has its flaws. You can make great numbers with it, but, as Reloaded stated above, the poor fuel economy will always be its downfall. I guess I just don't care about fuel economy.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:49 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

Until something as cost effective and reliable as the LS series of motors come along, I think it will last a long time.

Sure, they are getting played out, and an LS1 has been shoe-horned into almost anything you can imagine, but its still awesome to put a motor meant to power a 3500 LB car into something that weighs half of that.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:50 AM
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded

Originally Posted by RtryPwr
Haha. Yeah the rotary platform has its flaws. You can make great numbers with it, but, as Reloaded stated above, the poor fuel economy will always be its downfall. I guess I just don't care about fuel economy.
I've got some Popular Mechanics dating back to the 1960s and it's interesting to see that everyone had a rotary. One details GM's, another shows Mercedes Bens who in typical Mercedes fashion built a diesel.

It seems that Mazda was keenly aware of the longevity issues associated with the engine. They envisioned a business model in which you’d bring your worn out rotary engine into a Mazda dealership and replace it with a new engine for a relatively low price compared to swapping out a traditional engine. Seemed like an interesting idea but a hard sell on the motoring public.

Quick Reply: Next great swap motor? Thoughts on where we are headed...