Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Need Suspension Advice

Old 11-16-2007, 05:23 AM
Standartenführer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus
Default Need Suspension Advice

My car is currently riding on 245/35/19 with Eibach Sportslines. It feels like a stage coach on cobblestones around our decrepit HR roads. I would love to not have to pay attention and dodge every pothole while still being able to wind up the on ramp as hard as I want.

So I thought about adding more rubber to the tires - hence trying to buy new/used 17"-18" rims. My Altima is fairly flexible in what will fit in wheel wells I just dont know if I should get 17" with like 55-70 rubber (if that will even fit) or stick to something like 225/45/18. I am definitely getting something besides 245/35/19 as replacing those is pure rape $$$ wise.

Any suggestions ?

Last edited by euthorus; 11-16-2007 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:02 AM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate
Default Re: Need Suspension Advice

First step would be to get some decent struts to handle the Eibach's increased spring rate, like Koni yellows.

Also, try a tire with a softer sidewall. I'm happy with my Falken FK-452's as a street tire.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:21 AM
Nothing but time...

Venice has disabled reputation

What are you talking about a 225/55/17 or 225/70(I just dont know if I should get 17" with like 55-70 rubber (if that will even fit) ) If you are then your nuts that would never fit in your wheel well the 70 is something that would be found on a light truck and the 55 in a 17 would rub like crazy .And for the guy that said use a softer tire well that gets kinda hard to find in a low pro tire all the sidewalls are gonna be stiff as hell and ride like shit on bumpy roads .If your looking to fill up the wheel well try something like a 215/40/17 and lower the car a little more that tire would still be stiff but you have a little more flexibilty in the tire it self .And check your air pressure if it higher then like 35psi then your riding on bricks and your going to feel everything .Just my 2 cents

Last edited by Venice; 11-16-2007 at 06:23 AM. Reason: cant spell
Old 11-16-2007, 06:54 AM
Standartenführer

euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus

how much do the struts usually run and how involved is the install /swap ?

As far as 55-70 goes, my stock tires are 215/55R17 guess I could always go back to stock
Old 11-16-2007, 08:15 AM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate

Originally Posted by Fast E
What are you talking about a 225/55/17 or 225/70(I just dont know if I should get 17" with like 55-70 rubber (if that will even fit) ) If you are then your nuts that would never fit in your wheel well the 70 is something that would be found on a light truck and the 55 in a 17 would rub like crazy .And for the guy that said use a softer tire well that gets kinda hard to find in a low pro tire all the sidewalls are gonna be stiff as hell and ride like shit on bumpy roads .If your looking to fill up the wheel well try something like a 215/40/17 and lower the car a little more that tire would still be stiff but you have a little more flexibilty in the tire it self .And check your air pressure if it higher then like 35psi then your riding on bricks and your going to feel everything .Just my 2 cents
No, some street tires have softer sidewalls than others and a 40 series tire isnt really a "low pro" tire. If you want something with a softer sidewall, look for a performance tire and stay away from the "super ultra high performance summer tire." Like Azenis, they have a stiffer side than the other Falken tires.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Standartenführer

how noticeable will the softer side wall be ?
Old 11-16-2007, 11:04 AM
<3

It wont be a night and day differance, like proper struts will be. It will help and would proabably be the cheaper option.