Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

need info on buffing

Old 01-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00blackbmw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need info on buffing

im thinking about getting my truck buffed and just wanted to know if anyone has done it, and how did it turn out. i have never done it, or seen a car that had it done...any idea how much it costs, and where i can get it done?
Old 01-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Banned

Default Re: need info on buffing

no one?
Old 01-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

runnin9z has disabled reputation

What does your paint look like now, i used to detail so i can tell you if it will help or not, shoot me a pm.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

Since your truck is black, it's a pretty unforgiving color and difficult to maintain, but when its clean, black sure does look great. I recommend doing it yourself because you'll save a ton of money on it and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Not to mention, it's easier than you think... just slightly time consuming. You can go to Sears and get a good quality oscillating buffer/polisher for ~$40...

Depending on how neglected the finish is is where you would start out. If the paint hasn't been washed in 6 years and is full of hair line scratches and oxidation, I would start with a product called 3M Finesse it II. You can obtain this at a professional paint supply store, such as Mattos on Mercury Blvd. If the paint is in decent shape and you're just looking for that extra shine, I would start with a finer product like Meguiars Scratch X. Apply both products with the orbital buffer taking care not to apply a lot of pressure on edges or creases and to keep compound from building up in emblems etc. Polish one panel to a time and keep polishing until you reach the desired finish. Once that is complete, remove the haze by hand with a clean microfiber, then buff the panel with a different, clean micro fiber by placing the buffer on top of it, and allowing the microfiber to stick the buffer pad to buff the panel to a gloss. Complete the process by capping it off with a good quality wax.

If you insist on paying someone twice as much to do it though, I don't have many recommendations. I think Chris G. still polishes cars on the side though. I used to do it, but have drifted away from the "business".
Old 01-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

WaHsAbI has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by XCELR8
Since your truck is black, it's a pretty unforgiving color and difficult to maintain, but when its clean, black sure does look great. I recommend doing it yourself because you'll save a ton of money on it and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Not to mention, it's easier than you think... just slightly time consuming. You can go to Sears and get a good quality oscillating buffer/polisher for ~$40...

Depending on how neglected the finish is is where you would start out. If the paint hasn't been washed in 6 years and is full of hair line scratches and oxidation, I would start with a product called 3M Finesse it II. You can obtain this at a professional paint supply store, such as Mattos on Mercury Blvd. If the paint is in decent shape and you're just looking for that extra shine, I would start with a finer product like Meguiars Scratch X. Apply both products with the orbital buffer taking care not to apply a lot of pressure on edges or creases and to keep compound from building up in emblems etc. Polish one panel to a time and keep polishing until you reach the desired finish. Once that is complete, remove the haze by hand with a clean microfiber, then buff the panel with a different, clean micro fiber by placing the buffer on top of it, and allowing the microfiber to stick the buffer pad to buff the panel to a gloss. Complete the process by capping it off with a good quality wax.

If you insist on paying someone twice as much to do it though, I don't have many recommendations. I think Chris G. still polishes cars on the side though. I used to do it, but have drifted away from the "business".

Buffing really isn't that hard. It is VERY time consuming if you plan on doing it the right way. My best advice for a black truck would be to find someone that works in a detail shop and would be willing to do it as side work, versus going into a shop. There are plenty of people out there that won't bend you over for a quality job.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

bonestock94 has disabled reputation

Ive heard great stuff about Shine Car Shine in Va beach, my freind took his car there last week and loved it.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Banned

no one?
Old 01-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Means Slow

MABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud of

dreamsworkscustoms.net
Old 01-30-2007, 06:50 AM
Banned

C89ZX7R is an unknown quantity at this point

hey check this out , ( 56k beware )
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=158518
Old 02-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by C89ZX7R
hey check this out , ( 56k beware )
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=158518

damn...thats fuckin awesome...anyone know where to get those materials?

Quick Reply: need info on buffing