Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

NEED HELP...OIL SPILL WTF!!!

Old 04-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R
Default Re: NEED HELP...OIL SPILL WTF!!!

Originally Posted by Boost_up
Advanced next to Panera bread? those people are irritable.
yes...and yes
god i was so pissed...i'm never goin there again
Old 04-26-2006, 02:47 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

next time look up the filter yourself in the book cause your right some of those people are morons....i never use anything but honda filters but thats just me.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:41 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by Moriar
... or the gasket on the old filter stuck to the block and double gasketed.

ding ding. we have a winner.

Originally Posted by TheGoaT
I dont understand how it would flow out then if it is threaded up and formed a seal regardless of how deep the filter is.

but what do i know?

Well if the filter is too short but the right thread u can thread it up and it will stop cuz of no more filter to go thru and it can give the feel of being sealed and not actually being sealed.
i have never seen a filter that has threads to a certain depth. all spin on style oil filters have threads that are stamped into the hat and then goes into the filter cavity, with no limits on them for thread depth.

give an example of this you are talking about, and i will pull that PN off the shelf and take measurements, but i have never seen it happen, and i aint even gonna count how many oil changes i have done in the last 10 years.

and soak it with purple power, crank the pressure washer up to about 2500psi or more with a 10 degree fan tip, it will come off.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:57 AM
Registered Member

jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R

thanks guys for all the help...i am gonna go buy some of that stuff from lowe's/home depot and i also have some purple degreaser stuff...so i'll be trying those out and hopefully it works.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:58 AM
Pre-"Crash" Member

growley growley growley growley growley growley growley growley

Do you have a swap? If so, did you take that into account? I ALWAYS use OEM filters. Also beware of the old gasket sticking to the block.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:14 AM
Registered Member

Moriar has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by fc735
ding ding. we have a winner.

but what do i know?

i have never seen a filter that has threads to a certain depth. all spin on style oil filters have threads that are stamped into the hat and then goes into the filter cavity, with no limits on them for thread depth.

give an example of this you are talking about, and i will pull that PN off the shelf and take measurements, but i have never seen it happen, and i aint even gonna count how many oil changes i have done in the last 10 years.

and soak it with purple power, crank the pressure washer up to about 2500psi or more with a 10 degree fan tip, it will come off.
My Gf's 2004 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 with the 4.0 V6, With Tow Package requires a Huge filter that can hold a qaurt of Oil itself, And one with out Tow Package, and that is a dinky small honda filter.

I had went to Ford and got the OEM filter and didnt know that there was a difference and i got the non tow package filter, and it was like 4 inches long and i took the old one off, razor bladed the block, and then put the new one on and put oil in, then started truck up and backed it out and noticed drips of oil, and i started her back up and took a look underneath and there she is pissin oil out the bottom.

Went back to ford with that filter and it so happens the guy that knew what he was doin, asked me if i had Tow or No Tow, and gave me the right filter and didnt have a problem since.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:16 AM
Registered Member

yeah it might be the old gasket stuck...i'll check that later when i'm attempting to start cleaning the driveway
Old 04-26-2006, 09:40 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

My Gf's 2004 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 with the 4.0 V6, With Tow Package requires a Huge filter that can hold a qaurt of Oil itself, And one with out Tow Package, and that is a dinky small honda filter.

I had went to Ford and got the OEM filter and didnt know that there was a difference and i got the non tow package filter, and it was like 4 inches long and i took the old one off, razor bladed the block, and then put the new one on and put oil in, then started truck up and backed it out and noticed drips of oil, and i started her back up and took a look underneath and there she is pissin oil out the bottom.

Went back to ford with that filter and it so happens the guy that knew what he was doin, asked me if i had Tow or No Tow, and gave me the right filter and didnt have a problem since.

FL1A and the FL820 are the same ID on the threads and block sealing, difference is in the length. there is no difference in oil filters for a tow or non tow vehicle, the only difference is in 3.0 vs. 4.0 engines, which i reckon is their way of IDing in their system by tow vs. non tow.

the only filters i have a listing for in that vehicle is an FL820s for the 4.0, and an FL400, which is for the 3.0 and four banger.

the FL1a was used on the older 4.0's till about 2000, then it went to the FL820 if i recall.

the fun times are on heavy equipment when you get the wrong thread on the filter, it will spin on and snug up,. but when you fire it up, it blows off. nothing like having to clean up three gallons of Rotella before you can shut it off.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

Capster78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Carefull with the pressure washer. With the pressure up that high you may start carving yourself a nice sculpture into your driveway.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

Moriar has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by fc735
FL1A and the FL820 are the same ID on the threads and block sealing, difference is in the length. there is no difference in oil filters for a tow or non tow vehicle, the only difference is in 3.0 vs. 4.0 engines, which i reckon is their way of IDing in their system by tow vs. non tow.

the only filters i have a listing for in that vehicle is an FL820s for the 4.0, and an FL400, which is for the 3.0 and four banger.

the FL1a was used on the older 4.0's till about 2000, then it went to the FL820 if i recall.

the fun times are on heavy equipment when you get the wrong thread on the filter, it will spin on and snug up,. but when you fire it up, it blows off. nothing like having to clean up three gallons of Rotella before you can shut it off.
^ I was on a job site and the Mantiwoc was being serviced and they poured 10 gallons of Rotella all over the fuckin place..

Quick Reply: NEED HELP...OIL SPILL WTF!!!