Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

motor in progress

Old 04-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marshall1171 has disabled reputation
Default motor in progress

i am completely new to this and im looking for advice so bear with me. I recently came across a jdm gsr b18c1 motor and i got it at a steal. ive never had a fast motor and im looking to tune this one out before it goes in my car. since i got the motor ive been wanting to bore and stroke it, tune the head and eventually run a turbo. ive read a bunch of diffrent post from tons of forums and some have said to just bore it and dont stroke it others have said bore and stroke it? ( advice ...) i have also heard if im gonna run a turbo run low compression ratio, but i have also read and talked to several people and they have bored and stroked their motor and are running high compression ratio like 13:1 with a turbo and they are pulling like 550 plus hp.

so this is what im going for. im definately going to at least bore this motor and maybe stroke it as well. i am definately going to run a turbo. im trying to figure out what the best setup would be to get the most out of the motor and still save it to make it last in the long run. if anyone has any advice please post, im open for discussion. im new to all this and learning so any info helps.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: motor in progress

Keep researching. You don't want to run a high compression ratio with a turbo, that's a recipe for disaster. Trust me, no one is running 13:1 compression with a turbo unless they are running low boost with high octane race gas. 13:1 is difficult to safely run on high octane without a turbo, so you do the math.

The setup for making lots of power without a turbo is not the setup for making lots of power with a turbo from the same engine. So for your hard earned dollar, to prevent yourself from buying one set of parts now and another later (for the turbo) I would decide which route you want to go.
It sounds like you need to do more research on both options though. If you bore the engine, you'll need new pistons. If you stroke it, you'll need an aftermarket crank and connecting rods too. If you stroke it, you will have more low end torque but you will lose RPM capability because of the difference in geometry.