Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Mileage and boost

Old 10-23-2005, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curiouz_G has disabled reputation
Default Mileage and boost

well currently, im looking around for a 93-95 honda civic ex maunal to boost as a cheap fun car. there are a couple of things i was questioning though. for example, if i found a 6th gen ex with around 115-130 miles on the stock motor and chass., what steps are there to take when i want to boost? will the suspension have to be redone? what steps would i take to make the motor be able to withstand boost from...lets say the Greddy turbo kit that makes around 200whp on the stock d16y8 motor? would the stock tranny need to go after all these miles? sorry for the long post but i just want some options for a project car that wont cost me over 7-8g's and that will last more than 2 yrs.

Last edited by Curiouz_G; 10-23-2005 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:47 PM
Eat me.

Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta
Default Re: Mileage and boost

da fux ur susp gota do wit da turbos, juz outa curiouzity
Old 10-23-2005, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Slimsta Jimsta
well, its basic wear and tear issues. for example, the human body in its elder age cannot perform as well as a lets say young 20 yr old. its because the elder person's body has been worn down over the years. his legs are not as strong as what they use to be and they sure will not hold up to heavy weights and such. thats the same as a car. when its a 10-12 yr car, the suspension tends to wear down. even on stock vehicles, brushings, control arms, shocks, springs, etc. wear down. and in my post, i said i wanted to boost the car. usually, the 6th gen d16y8 motors lay down a stock whp of 110whp (dont quote me on this, just a rough estimate by dividing 10-15% power loss over a manual tranny) and with 115-130 miles on the suspension, it will sometimes wear out and break. now lets just say i boost it and it lays down 200whp. the output of the motor is now doubled. so, do you think a stock suspension that hasnt been changed in 10+ years can handle that kind of power and still be fine?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:13 AM
Registered member

ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN

Originally Posted by Slimsta Jimsta
im still wondering this after your new post. boosting a car doesn't have anything to do with what your saying. maybe the way it handles, yes, nothing to do about boosting though.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:16 AM
Needs a fast car now

NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET

Originally Posted by ONEFLYAZN
im still wondering this after your new post. boosting a car doesn't have anything to do with what your saying. maybe the way it handles, yes, nothing to do about boosting though.
What if I didnt get new suspension I would just be wheel hoppin all day.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:23 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If the suspension is that bad that you'll be wheel hopping a lot, it needs to be redone whether you boost it or not. Nothing some higher rate springs, new struts, and some polyurethane bushings won't cure..
Old 10-24-2005, 10:21 AM
Registered member

ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If the suspension is that bad that you'll be wheel hopping a lot, it needs to be redone whether you boost it or not. Nothing some higher rate springs, new struts, and some polyurethane bushings won't cure..
^^ what he said.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:57 PM

i was just worried about stuff like the axles and control arms being able to handle all the extra power with that many miles on the highway and stuff.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:47 PM
SuperNeon

koreandragn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Wheel hops an issue at 130tq?
Old 10-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Needs a fast car now

NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET

Originally Posted by koreandragn
Wheel hops an issue at 130tq?
Who are you talking about me or the other dude cuz I got about 230lbs.

Quick Reply: Mileage and boost