Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Mechanics, how do you like your jobs?

Old 07-11-2008, 06:12 AM
Logic is my religion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld
Default Mechanics, how do you like your jobs?

Well I have just finished the last eight years with the Marines, and now Im out in the civilian world again. I want to know how all you mechanics out there, like your jobs, and what kind of money you make. I am considering going to school to get ASE certified. I know that I like working on cars, but I dont know much about it as a career. So any inpute would be greatly appreciated. So have at it, Thanks.

Last edited by R. Danneskjöld; 07-12-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:24 AM
I'm Herpes Free!!

turbo98 has a reputation beyond reputeturbo98 has a reputation beyond reputeturbo98 has a reputation beyond reputeturbo98 has a reputation beyond reputeturbo98 has a reputation beyond reputeturbo98 has a reputation beyond reputeturbo98 has a reputation beyond reputeturbo98 has a reputation beyond reputeturbo98 has a reputation beyond reputeturbo98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mechanics, how do you like your jobs?

I'm certified, I work at a truck accessory store. I didn't really want to work on fixing everyday car and trucks, so I looked into any kind of aftermarket business, which is what I found. We're pretty small in terms of business's, but, we do pretty well. I make $16.50 hour with free insurance.I get a $1.50 a year raise, so around September time frame, I'll have $18.00 hour...
Old 07-11-2008, 06:25 AM
S a D u B

JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW

I'm not a mechanic, I am a service advisor at a Nissan dealership and all our techs do is bitch about everything. However they all love working on cars and I think thats just something that comes with the job. Lol.

I think you would really have to have a passion for working on cars to do it day in and day out as a career. I know some guys that make very good money at it though and wouldn't do anything else.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:28 AM
Registered Member

spitzbergen has disabled reputation

Only 8 years? Quitter!
Old 07-11-2008, 06:40 AM
Bearded.

DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO

well since the economy is slowing down, the work is also slowing down.

i work at nissan of newport news, and nobody in the shop turns more then 80 hours in a 2 week pay period. we work from 730-530 monday through friday and alternate saturdays.. we have 2 teams with 4 people on each team.

it was OK when every tech was making their own hours, now we are on a shared hours thing. That fucking sucks.

the money is there, you just have to be in the right spot, and have the right amount of experience.

being a state inspector has helped me out a hell of alot, FYI
Old 07-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Registered member

D.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spitzbergen
Only 8 years? Quitter!
I did 4. I'm smarter than he is.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:49 AM
1.6L Elitist

Newbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these parts

There are two types of mechanics:
1> Those who do it for money (these people use it as a 9-5 and do not generally have a project car)
2> Those who do it for money + enjoy it as a hobby.

Ultimately... if you plan on taking the path...be a #2.. otherwise its another boring 9-5.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:10 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

Originally Posted by JROW
I'm not a mechanic, I am a service advisor at a Nissan dealership and all our techs do is bitch about everything. However they all love working on cars and I think thats just something that comes with the job. Lol.

I think you would really have to have a passion for working on cars to do it day in and day out as a career. I know some guys that make very good money at it though and wouldn't do anything else.
+1
I am a Service Advisor for a Subaru dealer. I have not seen a technician that didn't bitch. It is part of the job description. Luckily we are on a team system so everyone gets paid the same amount of hours.

I have noticed the work is up and down, but overall the industry is slow. Some weeks my guys will make 60-70 hours a week each and some weeks it is 45-50 each.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:25 AM
Registered Member

nyteshade151 has disabled reputation

I would say if you're going to do it. Work at a dealership (specialize in your fav make). When you're dealing with all different kinds of cars with different kinds of problems everyday you start to get tired of it. Well at first it's ok but after a while. If you LOVE cars with a deep passion it might not bother you though. I only make 40 a year. But I've only been working a year so....(and not working hard at all.)
Old 07-11-2008, 07:33 AM
squad up!!!

To0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud of

Now is not a good time to try and get into this career.. Ive been out of it for almost 2 years now and I did it at the right time..

You can make money, but its really not worth the aggravationthis career puts you through..

Quick Reply: Mechanics, how do you like your jobs?