Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

matching amp to sub

Old 01-25-2004, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
m0neynh0s is an unknown quantity at this point
Default matching amp to sub

Im pretty much audio illiterate so id like some recommendations from you guys on to what amp i should run. The sub is an infinity kappa 10" in sealed box. Its an older Kappa series (the green-ish blue). I got for a great price.
Ive heard compared to the current line, the older infinity's hit harder. Has anyone had any experience with them?

I havent purchased an amp yet but im trying to narrow it down to a few choices. Feel free to suggest other ones in about the same price range as well.

PIONEER GMX922
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=39736

Pioneer GM-X632
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=39736

Alpine MRP M350
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=0&cc=01&avf=N

Ideally id like to stay with the pioneer amps to match my headunit, but that probably doesnt matter does it.
The PIONEER GMX922 is 300watts RMS, while my sub is 275rms, Ive heard the pioneers are also overrated a bit.
The pioneer GM-X632 is 150watts RMS, Will this be sufficient to push the sub at a decent level?

In the end, Im looking for clear, tight bass to complement my highs.

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:35 AM
1point8

94XRolla has disabled reputation

its always a good rule of thumb to get a higher rms amp than your subs rated rms, as sonic distortion is what kills a sub most often, not over-powering it...... if your sub is rated 275 rms with 600 peak or so, in my experience you should go with a 350 rms amp, possibly a mono block, becuase they are already made for one sub, bridged out basically, and some of the better models even have a switch to select a 2,4, or 6 ohm rating.... you could try a 400 watt Zapco, an MTX amp, the older thunder series, even a phoenix gold XS 2500 would do for a decent 2 channel amp that you can bridge.... so its basically just a choice of what you prefer, but definately stay away from legacy, rampage, the kmart stuff.... go with a name brand... and you always get a better sub if you needed to down the road, so purchase your amp with the intent to upgrade the sub in the future, that way you arent stuck with something you can't really use. and always look for an amp that is at least 2 ohm stable, just means the amp can handle more of a load and less chance of frying your amp in the near future. thats just my experienced opinion though.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the input, ill def look for an amp with a little more RMS than the X632.

By the way the sub is an infinity Kappa series 100.1se.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

uptownspeedstar

be sure its a class D amp.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:54 PM
RAWR!%!#%!#

bensrex is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm selling my amp... it's an Alpine MRP-M200. 300w x 1 (200RMS). it hit way harder than that though, and powered two 12" MTX Subs. PM me if you're interested, looking for about $120 and I pay the shipping.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:29 AM

Default Re: matching amp to sub

Originally Posted by uptownspeedstar
be sure its a class D amp.
whats the significance of a D class amp?
Old 01-31-2004, 11:35 AM
Eat me.

Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta

not tryin to jack the thread or anything, but since we're talking about car audio, i'll ask my question too.
i'm going to be getting a good deal on this sub already in a box. i want a rockford fosgate amp, but not sure which kind to get. here's the sub..
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=0&cc=01&avf=N
and i'm only going to have ONE of those
Old 02-01-2004, 08:50 AM

From what Ive heard, RF's quality has been on the decline since they stopped the Punch power series. But im sure someone else can further enlighten you.

now whats the deal with a d class amp?
Old 02-01-2004, 10:38 AM
Eat me.

Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta

well mine's a Punch one
Old 02-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

i would go for a JBL 300.1 amp, runs 300 wrms at 2 ohms around 150 bucks on ebay..

best amp for the money.. hands down.

Quick Reply: matching amp to sub