Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Looking for a truck

Old 06-16-2011, 12:51 AM
DITB-AHHH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these parts
Default Looking for a truck

what are some good trucks that wont have trouble towing a car and trailer long distances why'll still maintaing reasonable MPG's?

would like to stay under or around 17k

Leaning more towards turbo diesel's But open to suggestions.

Last edited by Corbzin; 06-16-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:37 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.
Default Re: Looking for a truck

Diesel.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:46 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Originally Posted by REDROCKETEER
Diesel.
this is pretty much your only choice for the detail you provided.

look for ford 7.3L in that price range, save the extra for maintenance expenses and upgrades. dodge with cummins turbo would be great, but the interiors suck wet lemur ass.

diesels are not good for city stop-and-go traffic. best for hauling, especially for long distances.

check out ones that come from work fleets as they will have had regularly scheduled maintenance even if they do have higher miles.

things to look to put on if they don't have them already:
- turbo back exhaust upgrade (lower exhaust gas temps, good for hauling, extends turbo life)
- pyrometer, turbo psi, trans temp gauges (these are the 3 most common, same ones i use)
- egr equipment (common failure point on many diesels, see if it's ever been replaced)
Old 06-16-2011, 05:00 AM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Digital is pretty much right.

If you go with a 7.3L Ford, check to see the maintenance history on it and if you don't see any for the transmission, keep looking or use it as a bargaining tool. The 7.3 Transmissions are highly known for their failures. If you look at a 6.0L Ford, common problems are EGR systems and Headstud problems however, they are powerhouses.

I have a 2000 F250 Crew cab shortbed 7.3L. The transmission has been replaced, I have an SCT tuner, air box, 5'' straight pipe and beefy trailer hitch. Before I tow something, I switch the tune to a towing tune because it shifts better and also gets better fuel mileage. I just towed for the first time with it last Driftwater. I had 10 wheels with tires in the bed, 8 loose tires, my tool box, a 10x20 canopy that I was towing a regular car trailer with my 240 on it that was also filled with tires and wheels. It did great BUT I do want the Banks wicked wheel upgrade. (Compressor wheel) for the turbocharger, the 7.3L 99-03 have what they call "Surge" and the turbo flutters a lot losing power.

The Cummins, man. Those things make power, but they are ugly. The Chevy Duramax, one big common failure on those are Injection pumps...which cost a pretty penny but they are tough trucks.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:08 AM
Keeping It Real !!

ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer

ecoboost /end
Old 06-16-2011, 06:45 AM
B Nice

STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW

Originally Posted by ravenracer
ecoboost /end
You can't get an ecoboost truck for under $17k though.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:28 AM
Registered Member

Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher

Diesels are not your only choice.

Vinny (jetswu87), Brokeneck, Shawn22, Brett (Axcelerate), Brian (Brobra4b), and Myself tow on a semi-regular/regular basis with gas trucks with no issues what so ever. And we all paid less than 17k.

Pretty much anything full size will pull a car and trailer without issue. You dont need some modded badass diesel to tow a 3k# car and a trailer.

My suggestion from my experiance: Any newer Chevy 1500-2500 (preferably with the 5.3...the 8.1 doesnt get great gas mileage) or any diesel...but like I said, pretty much any full size will pull a car without issue.

Last edited by Muncher; 06-16-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:43 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

you can tow with a gasser, but your mileage will suck.

if towing on a regular basis, diesel is the way to go. never seen a gasoline tractor trailer.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Diesels gas mileage doesnt change very much at all while towing compared to when you're not. Gas trucks get way worse mileage while towing.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher

Originally Posted by Digital4N6
you can tow with a gasser, but your mileage will suck.

if towing on a regular basis, diesel is the way to go. never seen a gasoline tractor trailer.
False. I got 14mpg pulling a camper in the mountains. Kienan (All Aspetcs) pulled his (albiet larger) with his cummins and got 9mpg. It completly depends on the truck, what your pulling, how fast you drive, and where your pulling it.

Your second comment has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Last edited by Muncher; 06-16-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking for a truck