Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

looking to hook up my 99 neon

Old 05-23-2006, 04:07 AM
He's like the wind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC
Default Re: looking to hook up my 99 neon

Its a Neon. It'll never be fast. Just keep it for a daily driver and get something else to build up.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:39 AM
New VeeDub Owner

want2race will become famous soon enoughwant2race will become famous soon enough

Don't listen to these guys. ANY car can be fast if you are willing to put in the time and effort. I own a '99 Neon R/T, and when I am done, it will be fast enough. Are you staying NA or going turbo? The stock internals on the 2.0L Neon engine can handle roughly 6-8 pounds of boost safely. Anything more, and you will need a complete rebuild.

Right now, start with the basics:

CAI
Exhaust
TB
Mopar Performance PCM
Cams
UDP

Don't worry about headers right now, especially if you are planning on going turbo soon, they will just be a waste of money.

If you are looking for handling, then you want to go with new springs, sway bars, and no bigger than 17's.

Just PM me if you have any questions.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:39 AM
THE FIASCO

blasko is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by gsxtuner
could always swap in a srt-4 motor.. i've seen it done.
its the same motor as the PT.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:50 AM
CPL Us Army

jpick_aap_cpp has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by blasko
its the same motor as the PT.

lol my bad doh! i knew that sorry
Old 05-23-2006, 05:51 AM
This is going to spo

tecnic1 tecnic1 tecnic1

Originally Posted by want2race
Don't listen to these guys. ANY car can be fast if you are willing to put in the time and effort. I own a '99 Neon R/T, and when I am done, it will be fast enough.
ummm...
no.
get a different car.

I guess you might be right. if you had enough money, you could swap a ls1 into a daewoo, but it would still sorta be stupid.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:53 AM
New VeeDub Owner

want2race will become famous soon enoughwant2race will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tecnic1
ummm...
no.
get a different car.
Explain why?
Old 05-23-2006, 06:03 AM
UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE

....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ....

Explain why?
Because judging by the creator's question, it doesn't seem like he's going FI right now. It seems like he's just looking for bolt ons. And, sorry to say it, but a neon with just about every bolt on made for it isn't going to pull far out of the 15's. Sure you can make ANY car fast. But there's still a determination to be made when it comes to what's practical. I'm not gonna buy a neon and swap the whole damned motor out to make it quick.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:06 AM
That's not gone well

Zero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud of

Explain why?
It seems he just has a base-model AUTOMATIC neon. I'm not knocking all Neons, but unless his idea of "fast" is 20 more hp after $2000+ of NA parts it's just not financially worth it imo.

For most of us here, that just isn't a good platform to start on. He'd be much better off saving up for an SRT-4 or even a manual SXT.

But if he's gonna stick with his car...I guess my advice would be 50 shot of nitrous and be done with it.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:09 AM
TAINT PUNCHER!

Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby

i don't know what to tell you except trade it. i mean you may up it a little with bolt-ons but without a 5spd or a shift kit in your auto your still going nowhere fast. That stock auto tranny is gonna kill ya.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:09 AM
New VeeDub Owner

Originally Posted by Assassin
Because judging by the creator's question, it doesn't seem like he's going FI right now. It seems like he's just looking for bolt ons. And, sorry to say it, but a neon with just about every bolt on made for it isn't going to pull far out of the 15's. Sure you can make ANY car fast. But there's still a determination to be made when it comes to what's practical. I'm not gonna buy a neon and swap the whole damned motor out to make it quick.
Yeah, actually bolt-ons can get a Neon down into the low 13's / high 12's.

And why not swap out the "whole damned motor"??? Honda guys do it all of the time, and they get more status points depending on which engine/tranny combo they have.

Not trying to start a Domestic/Import war here. I have many friends that drive Hondas/Acuras/Nissans etc. I am just trying to point out that a Neon is just as solid a platform to start with as any other. Granted, there are not 63459872107293857 companies that make Neon parts like there are for some others, but the parts are still out there to be bought.

So, yes. A Neon can be made fast, just like any other car.

Quick Reply: looking to hook up my 99 neon