Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Leather/Vinyl Interior Dye?

Old 11-23-2009, 04:52 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ClassicJDMCars has disabled reputation
Default Leather/Vinyl Interior Dye?

Just curious if anyone has experience with dying leather/vinyl? If so which product did you use and how did it turn out/hold up?

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2009, 05:00 AM
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE
Default Re: Leather/Vinyl Interior Dye?

I did my door panels and sparco seat with some advanced auto spray on die. The door panels have held up so far. The seat not so much because of the desing of it. I also used a fabric die to do an s13 seat and it came out very nice.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:08 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

SEM is one of the best brands out there. You can get it at automotive paint supply places. Usually how well it holds up depends on the surface, the amount of prep, and the amount of wear and tear it will see in use.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:17 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
SEM is one of the best brands out there. You can get it at automotive paint supply places. Usually how well it holds up depends on the surface, the amount of prep, and the amount of wear and tear it will see in use.
SEM is more of a paint correct? I'm not opposed to using a paint, but I would think a dye would hold up better?? I have no idea here, as I've never done this before.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:23 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Yeah, it's a type of paint, that's what all the vinyl dyes I've used have been like. A true dye wouldn't be able to change anything to a different opaque color, so you wouldn't be able to go from gray to tan or something like that.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Yeah, it's a type of paint, that's what all the vinyl dyes I've used have been like. A true dye wouldn't be able to change anything to a different opaque color, so you wouldn't be able to go from gray to tan or something like that.
Yea, right now it's white and I want it grey or black. I'm not sure if it's leather or vinyl, but I'm assuming vinyl if that makes a difference.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:52 AM
The world is yours

Cr33pin Cr33pin Cr33pin Cr33pin Cr33pin Cr33pin Cr33pin Cr33pin Cr33pin Cr33pin Cr33pin

Originally Posted by Chris@Fortune
Yea, right now it's white and I want it grey or black. I'm not sure if it's leather or vinyl, but I'm assuming vinyl if that makes a difference.
go black
Old 11-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

If it's leather,I'd suggest Leatherique(http://www.leatherique.com/)if you want to do it the right way.You could also contact them about if it'll work on vinyl,or what the best option would be for vinyl.
I've used RIT dye on various interior fabrics,and the SEM spray dye on vinyl surfaces like dashes or armrests,both with great results.
Chris
Old 11-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Drives a Mustang

TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6

we turned some black vinyl door panels into bright red door panels at work with some kind of paint stuff.... im not sure how it held up but the customer hasnt complained yet so i assume pretty well haha. i can check and see what the stuff is called tomorrow.