Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

leather steering wheel+oily hands.....

Old 05-04-2007, 05:46 AM
NUMBER4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish
Default leather steering wheel+oily hands.....

just curious how some of you go about cleaning a leather steering wheel. when i bought the car it had a very matte finish, and after my oily hands getting all over it, well, not so matte anymore. i'm not looking for a conditioner, but something that may lift the oil/dirt, etc. safely.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:58 AM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts
Default Re: leather steering wheel+oily hands.....

It may not be the oil making the wheel shiny, but it may just be the constant rubbing of your hands on the matte finish of the leather "polishing" it smooth. You can try cleaning it with a conditioner like Lexol on a terry cloth towel. Sometimes, a little bit of window cleaner on a terry cloth towel will work well too, but after doing that you'll want to condition it to replace the natural oils that the alcohol in the window cleaner may have removed.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:07 AM
$Level$

Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich

+1 on Lexol products.

And remember kids....Armor All is evil and should not be used in your interior. 303 protectant is muchos better.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:16 AM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by DoingOK
+1 on Lexol products.

And remember kids....Armor All is evil and should not be used in your interior. 303 protectant is muchos better.
+1
Armor All shouldn't be used any where IMO. It attracts dust to the oily surface, will cause sunlight to reflect off the dash and cause glares on the windshield and it also can promote cracking. If you want to clean the interior surfaces of something, window cleaner on a terry cloth works well, or my personal favorite is Meguiar's Quik Interior.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:22 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Lexol on leather

Windex to clean interior then follow up w/ A303 or Adam's VRT, then buff w/ clean cloth.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:22 AM
NUMBER4

thanks guys, and yeah, i'll never use armor all, i use mostly lexol or eagle one stuff(nano), want to pick up some DP stuff. that makes a lot of sense about my hands 'polishing' the leather, but the only reason why i'm leaning towards the oil from my hands is because i've started to notice it more in the last 3-4 weeks, when the weather has started to get warmer....top down and sweat
Old 05-04-2007, 06:26 AM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC

Why not just get a steering wheel coozie or something to protect the steering wheel?
Old 05-04-2007, 06:27 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

^ Good call... pick your favorite NASCAR driver and go from there.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:29 AM
NUMBER4

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
^ Good call... pick your favorite NASCAR driver and go from there.
hahahah! sounds good
Old 05-04-2007, 06:45 AM
Srsly.

Originally Posted by MAD_DOHC
Why not just get a steering wheel coozie or something to protect the steering wheel?
If you ever need a beer coozie, I'm sure To0C0oL has something you could use.

Quick Reply: leather steering wheel+oily hands.....