Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Learning to paint a car

Old 12-02-2006, 02:21 PM
Foreign kid.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
asianmuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Learning to paint a car

I want to teach myself how to paint a car so that when summer or maybe christmas break comes around i can do all the work in repainting my car. I have access to a hvlp gun air compressor and spraying space, so none of that will be a problem, but i was wondering if there is anyone out there who taught themselves had any tips or good books to study before attempting, and maybe if someone who paints cars could show me personally id help in any paint project for free. I just dont even know where to start
Old 12-03-2006, 09:05 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT
Default Re: Learning to paint a car

Originally Posted by asianmuscle
I want to teach myself how to paint a car so that when summer or maybe christmas break comes around i can do all the work in repainting my car. I have access to a hvlp gun air compressor and spraying space, so none of that will be a problem, but i was wondering if there is anyone out there who taught themselves had any tips or good books to study before attempting, and maybe if someone who paints cars could show me personally id help in any paint project for free. I just dont even know where to start

i was taught the basics of bodywork and paint by a friend of mine, the rest i learned by doing it, if you want to learn. read some info. focus on prep. and gather extra spare junked bodyparts, fix them and practice painting them, you dont want your car to be the first thing you paint. trust me.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:44 AM
What are pistons? ;}

EclipseRider has disabled reputation

when it omes to repaianting your car you have to keep 3 things in mind...first-what are youre damages, and what materials will be needed to fix thoose (if applies)?
second- your budget...how much money do you have to spend?
third- color? graphics? paint grade? clear coat grade? what kind of primer? Where? is the place vented? how much time do you have?

There are plenty of techniques to apinting but the one i reccomend most is do not hold the pain tigger and just spray away when you paint it need to be in staccato strokes to get a precise even coat

Best thing for you to do to answer 90% of these questions is to go to a Sherwinn Williams Auto Body paint store and get the materials and advice there.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Friendly Jackboot

sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80

so do any of you guys do paintwork for anybody
Old 12-03-2006, 10:52 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

i do bodywork and paint at stock or modified in virginia beach. ive only been there for about 2.5 months. but ive been painting for a few years.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

gilligan is infamous around these partsgilligan is infamous around these partsgilligan is infamous around these partsgilligan is infamous around these partsgilligan is infamous around these partsgilligan is infamous around these partsgilligan is infamous around these partsgilligan is infamous around these partsgilligan is infamous around these partsgilligan is infamous around these partsgilligan is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
i was taught the basics of bodywork and paint by a friend of mine, the rest i learned by doing it, if you want to learn. read some info. focus on prep. and gather extra spare junked bodyparts, fix them and practice painting them, you dont want your car to be the first thing you paint. trust me.
i agree.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Foreign kid.

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
do you think it would be possible for me to ask someone that works in a paint body shop to let me watch them?
I'll have about 3 weeks for winter break then 4 months in the summer. Im willing to pay about 300 dollars.
are there any good websites to look at? I've googled it but all i get are really general things
Old 12-04-2006, 04:09 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

Originally Posted by asianmuscle
do you think it would be possible for me to ask someone that works in a paint body shop to let me watch them?
I'll have about 3 weeks for winter break then 4 months in the summer. Im willing to pay about 300 dollars.
are there any good websites to look at? I've googled it but all i get are really general things

you can probably come by our shop, talk to the owner leo and i would have no problem showing you, i wouldnt charge you to teach you, i was taught for free out of my buddys good graces and i will do the same.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:20 AM
Foreign kid.

alright awesome i will definitely come by during winter break.