Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Krylon king i need your help!

Old 02-19-2004, 06:38 PM
Taking the shot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these parts
Default Krylon king i need your help!

k got some rims that i want to do in black. They have alrdy been powder coated in black once be for but its starting to chip off in ceratin places aka: round the lugnuts. I wanna us the krylon paint to redo the rims. What i wanted to know was do i need to sand down all the wheels b4 i paint them or can i do it right over the old powder coat job. And how much of the Krylon am i going to need to do all 4 wheels well? plus the clearcoat. Everyone feel free to post thxs
Old 02-20-2004, 02:38 AM
kosher jew

bseriesbenny is infamous around these partsbseriesbenny is infamous around these partsbseriesbenny is infamous around these partsbseriesbenny is infamous around these partsbseriesbenny is infamous around these partsbseriesbenny is infamous around these partsbseriesbenny is infamous around these partsbseriesbenny is infamous around these partsbseriesbenny is infamous around these partsbseriesbenny is infamous around these partsbseriesbenny is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Krylon king i need your help!

haha this is a hilarious thread...just post in one of his thread dude...he just started another one....or pm more impatiant
Old 02-20-2004, 02:58 AM
wharlgarbl

notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline

Originally Posted by QwanSanchez
k got some rims that i want to do in black. They have alrdy been powder coated in black once be for but its starting to chip off in ceratin places aka: round the lugnuts. I wanna us the krylon paint to redo the rims. What i wanted to know was do i need to sand down all the wheels b4 i paint them or can i do it right over the old powder coat job. And how much of the Krylon am i going to need to do all 4 wheels well? plus the clearcoat. Everyone feel free to post thxs

Yes. They need to be sanded down (all 4 in all places the paint is going to touch).. Its spray paint. its not that expensive...and if used right it takes minimal amounts to coat the rims...
Old 02-20-2004, 05:31 AM
Refugee

TripleSeis has disabled reputation

That shit sounded so super hero.....
Old 02-20-2004, 08:31 AM
Taking the shot

QwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these parts

Anyone know about what grit sand paper i need to use, i dont wanna scratch the bad boys so im hoping some one whos alrdy done it knows what grit to use.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:34 AM
Good Ship Bear

sil80er is an unknown quantity at this point

in another post nates95accord mentioned something about just using a scouring pad to scuff them up enough for the paint to adhere.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:56 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

Originally Posted by sil80er
in another post nates95accord mentioned something about just using a scouring pad to scuff them up enough for the paint to adhere.

yea,the 3m red scuff pad will work really well, i took everything off my rims so i used some heavier sandpaper,but if you dont want to take it all the way off and you dont want to scratch the hell out of it i would use that, and then go over it with some 1k grit paper to make it extra smooth, and YES, every piece of the rim that you want the paint to stick you need to sand down.......and it only takes about 2 cans of paint to do 4 rims........
Old 02-20-2004, 01:31 PM

s2k7 has disabled reputation

The coursest grit i would use is 320. Im not a pro on spray paint, but id figure that any courser than that the scratches might bleed through.

If you go the scuff pad route, thats only good for roughing up the paint you already have, it wont get rid of your chips. Use sandpaper of course for that and feather-edge it out.

Try using "COMET" bathroom cleaner and some water when scuffing with scuff pad. It helps the scuff pad cut a lot faster and puts a better scuff on the job as well. They make this shit called "scuff stuff" but comet works just as good and most people have it lying around their houses. It's what they used to use back in the day for paint prep.