Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Knowing the LAW... do cops??

Old 04-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Do You Want More?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hondas_Only Hondas_Only Hondas_Only Hondas_Only Hondas_Only Hondas_Only
Default Knowing the LAW... do cops??

So i was doing this research paper on police profiling of import drivers and decided to see what the law (ESPECIALLY IN VA) says about modifying your vehicle. so here it is....

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...10000000000000

i was amazed to find in the VA code that there is very little to nothing about LOWERING your ride. with regard to that, all it says is no point on the frame can touch the ground.... interesting....

suspension Codes
46.2-1063 Alteration of suspension system; bumper height limits; raising body above frame rail
46.2-1064 Modification of front-end suspension by use of lift blocks

when it comes to mufflers also, very non-specific... it says the obvious safety related things like you cant remove the interiors of your exhaust (i.e. hollow cats or mufflers) but it says NOTHING with regard to the sound of them.

Muffler codes:
46.2-1047 Muffler cutout, etc., illegal
46.2-1048 Pollution control systems or devices
46.2-1049 Exhaust system in good working order
46.2-1050 Mufflers on motorcycles

i mention these two things cuz i think those are the two things most of us get pulled for (besides speeding... lol), but i didnt have time to read every single code, but i didnt find anything about the use of aftermarket equipment being illegal unless it is unsafe. and if it isnt in writing, then SOMEONE is making it up.

so with that being said, i'm a lot more suspictious about exhaust, and modification tickets. these laws get VERY specific, so im wondering if anyone can provide some written info that contradicts this or references more restrictions? and if not, im defintely going to be a lot more sceptical and speculative the next time i get pulled for something on my ride.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

Rey Mysterio Rey Mysterio Rey Mysterio Rey Mysterio Rey Mysterio Rey Mysterio Rey Mysterio Rey Mysterio Rey Mysterio Rey Mysterio Rey Mysterio
Default Re: Knowing the LAW... do cops??

hahaha i did a paper on the same topic in my english class
Old 04-10-2007, 04:22 PM
H dizzle

according has disabled reputation

i recieved multible altered suspension tickets in multible jurisdictions ( York County, VaBeach, Henrico) and thought they were all bull shit. But in reading the laws from the link provided it actually says 14 inches for the front bumper which is what the damn cop told me. i am almost impressed the pig knew his shit. anyhow, still need to kiss ass if pulled over........
Old 04-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Do You Want More?

Originally Posted by according
i recieved multible altered suspension tickets in multible jurisdictions ( York County, VaBeach, Henrico) and thought they were all bull shit. But in reading the laws from the link provided it actually says 14 inches for the front bumper which is what the damn cop told me. i am almost impressed the pig knew his shit. anyhow, still need to kiss ass if pulled over........
what do you drive??... if its a car... read a little closer

The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,500 pounds or less shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches.

this has nothing to do with CARS... it has to do with heavy vehicles... as they hit bumps... their weight forces them down farther creating a safety hazard
Old 04-10-2007, 04:47 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Originally Posted by HONDAS_ONLY
...but i didnt have time to read every single code, but i didnt find anything about the use of aftermarket equipment being illegal unless it is unsafe. and if it isnt in writing, then SOMEONE is making it up.

Aftermarket equipment is labeled illegal when it makes a vehicle unsafe, and you've already admitted to being uninformed about the laws. State Troopers takes tests on the codes, so many know it thoroughly -- locals may focus primarily on local ordinances (which affect primarily mufflers).
Old 04-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

My frame used hit the ground in my purple hatch.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Do You Want More?

Originally Posted by Not Stock
Aftermarket equipment is labeled illegal when it makes a vehicle unsafe, and you've already admitted to being uninformed about the laws. State Troopers takes tests on the codes, so many know it thoroughly -- locals may focus primarily on local ordinances (which affect primarily mufflers).
another cop sympathizer.... and again... meeting the stereotype of a domestic owner... go figure.

i said i didnt read every code... just the ones that pertained to our problems... and like i said.. if you want to talk shyt... bring something in writing that contradicts what i posted.... if not STFU... i didnt post this to get petty argument... bring proof and a reference
Old 04-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Do You Want More?

Old 04-10-2007, 05:26 PM
what you lookin at?

s13nnva23 has disabled reputation

§ 46.2-1049. Exhaust system in good working order.

No person shall drive and no owner of a vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any such vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual levels of noise; provided however, that for motor vehicles, such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make.

well if u read this closely it says anything other that standard factory equipment is illegal on your car......now with that being said i have loud exhaust on my car.....ive gotten a verbal warning on it before but no ticket as of yet......will prolly happen but i do have to say the american cars like hot rods without antique tags gets messed with....import guys like me and alot of others usally get the shaft but i do have to say thats because us import guys drive like assholes....
Old 04-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Sav
seriously...

Sav Sav Sav Sav Sav Sav Sav Sav Sav Sav Sav

basically even if you think you know the law...you dont. Even if you get smart with the cop and read the law to the word thinking you are right and he/she is wrong....your going to be wrong...because you would have more than have pissed the officer off and he will write you a citation for w/e it was and maybe more.

Quick Reply: Knowing the LAW... do cops??