Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Intercooler / Intake Pipe Bead Forming...

Old 09-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD
Default Intercooler / Intake Pipe Bead Forming...

As some of you already know, I am doing a custom water to air intercooler setup on my talon. I bought all of the 3" polished aluminum piping and all of the other parts and then had to figure out what I wanted to do about the beads on the end.
A lot of people were telling me to just weld the beads onto the intercooler pipes. Personally, I think it looks bad and I am too much of a perfectionist to do something such as that. Now granted, it works, I just don't think it looks professional. So... I bought a bead form tool.
Hopefully I will be able to create some custom IC setups for varies cars... at least that is the plan anyways. Even if I don't get that involved with making IC kits for people, I will at least be able to roll beads for anyone who needs them done. Here are the pictures of the bead I rolled the first night I had it.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask
Default Re: Intercooler / Intake Pipe Bead Forming...

nice nick!
Old 09-19-2007, 10:00 AM
you suck, i know it

(F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-)

cooooool...what does the tool look like?
Old 09-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

Originally Posted by (F-)
cooooool...what does the tool look like?
Here is a picture. Quiet Horsepower sells them along with many other places. they cost about $430 shipped for the basic and then about $500 for the HD with replaceable bushings.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:14 AM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

pretty neat, but i dont know shit about bead forming, please explain?
Old 09-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Originally Posted by 240sxftw
pretty neat, but i dont know shit about bead forming, please explain?
Well basically, I made my custom IC setup. It's a water to air unit and I knew I wanted to make it just how I wanted it... plus no one offers a W/A "bolt on" kit. So, I ordered all of the polished 3" Aluminum pipe. None of it comes with beads on the end, so you have to either make your own bead by welding them on, or have them formed with a machine.
Basically, the bead creates a nice ridge for a clamp to ride against, that way the couplers don't just slide off the pipe under pressure situations.
You can see the end of my pipe how there is no bead, this is how all of the pipe I order comes. Now, I have the ability to make my own beads and have a beautiful, lightweight IC piping setup.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:39 AM
XGP15A-II

J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX

Originally Posted by Hybrid AWD
Well basically, I made my custom IC setup. It's a water to air unit and I knew I wanted to make it just how I wanted it... plus no one offers a W/A "bolt on" kit. So, I ordered all of the polished 3" Aluminum pipe. None of it comes with beads on the end, so you have to either make your own bead by welding them on, or have them formed with a machine.
Basically, the bead creates a nice ridge for a clamp to ride against, that way the couplers don't just slide off the pipe under pressure situations.
You can see the end of my pipe how there is no bead, this is how all of the pipe I order comes. Now, I have the ability to make my own beads and have a beautiful, lightweight IC piping setup.
definatly sounds like it'll help alot, what numbers are you shooting for?