Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Integrated Boost Gauge (VW) hot shit

Old 04-08-2003, 10:47 AM
had yours today?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
animus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Integrated Boost Gauge (VW) hot shit

This is hotness

ooo baby. check out the vid.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Banned

Boosted2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah thats made hott looking like alittle bit of work though
Old 04-08-2003, 01:37 PM
Former 757'er

Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous

It'd be worth all the work though, that's the shit. I'm actually considering making up something like that now. I just wonder if there's such a thing as dual LED's so you could make the red light area adjustable.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:58 PM
wharlgarbl

notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline

i like that....
Old 04-08-2003, 06:51 PM
Master of Doom

Vigor Vigor Vigor Vigor Vigor Vigor Vigor

Originally posted by FastX7
It'd be worth all the work though, that's the shit. I'm actually considering making up something like that now. I just wonder if there's such a thing as dual LED's so you could make the red light area adjustable.
It's possible to get LEDs that can glow different colors if that's what you're asking.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Former 757'er

Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous

Originally posted by Vigor
It's possible to get LEDs that can glow different colors if that's what you're asking.
Yes, that's what I was asking. Also, I'd have to devise a way to make it variable. So, for example, I could change the "red zone" from 10psi to 18psi if I upgraded the turbo or something similar.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:40 PM
Hiding in the bushes

EvasionOfTruth is an unknown quantity at this point

That's really really nice.

Buster
Old 04-11-2003, 03:58 PM
Master of Doom

Originally posted by FastX7
Yes, that's what I was asking. Also, I'd have to devise a way to make it variable. So, for example, I could change the "red zone" from 10psi to 18psi if I upgraded the turbo or something similar.
I think the way they generally work is that they glow one color for positive voltage drop across the diode and the other color for negative voltage drop. You can probably get them at Radio Shack (if not directly in the store, then at least from their catalog). The LEDs themselves don't determine their color so much as the hardware you have controlling them. If you could fix the hardware to make them glow a certain color at a certain RPM, then it should be easy to modify the controller to change what RPM rating the voltage level changes.
Old 04-11-2003, 04:34 PM
Banned

Boosted2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

also the coloring of the lenses surrounds the led so u can have one led doo 3 colors prove to me nad ill stand corrected
Old 04-11-2003, 05:53 PM
Master of Doom

Originally posted by Boosted2003
also the coloring of the lenses surrounds the led so u can have one led doo 3 colors prove to me nad ill stand corrected
What you're saying would imply that they could glow in 3 different colors regardless of the color of the lens.

I'm not saying it's NOT possible to have a tri-color LED, but I've never seen one. I'm studying electrical and computer engineering, and based on what I've learned I don't see how a 3-colored LED would work. In case you didn't know, LED stands for Lighted Electric Diode. A diode is a 2 terminal device that works basically as follows:

If the voltage at the positive terminal is some amount higher than the voltage at the negative terminal (standard value is 0.6-0.7 V) then the diode conducts current. This is commonly called the "on" state. If the voltage drop is not high enough, the diode conducts only a very small amount of current (about 0.000000001 A). This is basically the diode's "off" state.

There are also devices called Zener diodes that produce a large voltage if they are in their "off" state, but they wouldn't exactly be ideal for LEDs. Like I said, I don't know if it's impossible, but I've never seen tri-color LEDs.

Quick Reply: Integrated Boost Gauge (VW) hot shit