Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Im tired of exhaust tickets!!!! I know you are, what can we do?!

Old 09-11-2008, 05:09 PM
03 evo 8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98
Default Im tired of exhaust tickets!!!! I know you are, what can we do?!

I dont know about you guys but im tired of having to worry about my exhaust every time i take my evo out. Again, tonight i got another ticket!!! Does anyone know what the EXACT law states, every officer tells me someting different!!! Almost every ticket i have ever had has been exhaust. There needs to atleast be a concrete law for this, and not just leave it up to the officer to tell how loud it is. what may be loud to one cop may not be so bad to another! In the end its taking the power from the judge. He should be the only person to weigh the options, not an officer. An officer will issue a summons to court to see a judge...that should be where it is decided if a exhaust is too loud or not. Or... they need decible meters. The law will state that if an exhaust is over X decibles its illegal. They have a tint meter...why not an exhaust meter?!?! You cant honestly tell me that my car is louder than a harley, or any other bike for that matter!!! Even the loudest civic is no louder than a simi truck, or if you really think about it how loud is a train. One officer told me its a distraction...ok well how distracting is your blue lights, or a good looking girl walking down the street, or even another nice car. I can think of 10 things more distracting IN my car than outside it, radio, cellphone, ect, ect, just to name a few. I just think there is something that can be done. Anyone have any ideas where to start?
Old 09-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Pulling The Weight

PureBreed has disabled reputation
Default Re: Im tired of exhaust tickets!!!! I know you are, what can we do?!

Originally Posted by brianeclipse98
I dont know about you guys but im tired of having to worry about my exhaust every time i take my evo out. Again, tonight i got another ticket!!! Does anyone know what the EXACT law states, every officer tells me someting different!!! Almost every ticket i have ever had has been exhaust. There needs to atleast be a concrete law for this, and not just leave it up to the officer to tell how loud it is. what may be loud to one cop may not be so bad to another! In the end its taking the power from the judge. He should be the only person to weigh the options, not an officer. An officer will issue a summons to court to see a judge...that should be where it is decided if a exhaust is too loud or not. Or... they need decible meters. The law will state that if an exhaust is over X decibles its illegal. They have a tint meter...why not an exhaust meter?!?! You cant honestly tell me that my car is louder than a harley, or any other bike for that matter!!! Even the loudest civic is no louder than a simi truck, or if you really think about it how loud is a train. One officer told me its a distraction...ok well how distracting is your blue lights, or a good looking girl walking down the street, or even another nice car. I can think of 10 things more distracting IN my car than outside it, radio, cellphone, ect, ect, just to name a few. I just think there is something that can be done. Anyone have any ideas where to start?

Hahaha

I'am dieing....ok..ok. Dude just change to a oem muffler, problem solved.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Its Lightish Red

JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab

4 fucking times, are you serious?
Old 09-11-2008, 05:16 PM
boom tick boom tick

Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum

tired of exhaust tickets? put back on some stock exhaust! WIN WIN!
Old 09-11-2008, 05:22 PM
03 evo 8

brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98

you tell me a 3" turbo back that sounds stock, there are actualy some people that put on an exhaust for other reasons than it "sounds cool"
Old 09-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Works on MBs

BigandSlow is on a distinguished road

if you don't want it to be loud it doesn't have to be and can still serve a purpose. How about a couple 3'' moroso spiral resonators plus a muffler.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

Show Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond repute

§ 46.2-1049. Exhaust system in good working order.

No person shall drive and no owner of a vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any such vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual levels of noise; provided however, that for motor vehicles, such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make.

The term "exhaust system," as used in this section, means all the parts of a vehicle through which the exhaust passes after leaving the engine block, including mufflers and other sound dissipative devices.

Chambered pipes are not an effective muffling device to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and any vehicle equipped with chambered pipes shall be deemed in violation of this section.

I've been pulled over 7 times for my exhaust, 3 of them i got tickets and 4 were warnings. After i painted my muffler black, i haven't got one since.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:30 PM
03 evo 8

painting it is also a good option, but just a band-aid. flame away guys but i was just tying to actualy do something about it other than just bitch.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Borla Hush. Don't know if there is one for your application, but they're nice, and look stock too.

As far as dB meters go, Cali has a explicitly stated dB limit (don't remember the number) and the officers are supposed to enforce with a dB meter for traffic stops. That doesn't necessarily solve the problem though, because in order for the dB meter to get a consistent reading, there has to be a reference distance away from the exhaust and away from the ground, as well as an offset angle. This is like the reference dB rating in subwoofer specs, where the dB reading is usually taken at 1watt/1meter (1 watt signal input, 1 meter distance in freeair I think).
I think they take the loudest point in the normal RPM range.

Try telling a cop that he isn't adhering to the measurement standards while he has you sit in the car and rev the engine for him.

The current VA law is largely subjective, which is nice for VA because they can make money at the officer's discretion. Here in Colorado it's not a big problem, which I'm guessing has something to do with the giant number of Harleys with deafeningly loud pipes on them.

Just checked, doesn't look like Borla makes anything for your car. They make a really nice, quiet 3" for my WRX though, I have a few friends out here that have them and they're really nice sounding, with stock looking twin-tips.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 09-11-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC

had two exhaust tickets and another got pulled again for it after it was changed, no ticket issued though...happy to be back in NC

Quick Reply: Im tired of exhaust tickets!!!! I know you are, what can we do?!