Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

im thinking about getting a 95-99 gst how are they

Old 09-18-2005, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steve420 has disabled reputation
Default im thinking about getting a 95-99 gst how are they

im thinking about getting a gst conv. are they quick. ive heard some bad things about there motors not lasting to long and that there slow. i like the way thay look and i think having a turbo car would be cool. its for my wife anyways. i want something thats low maint. and a little fun to drive. is this the car for me.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:35 AM
whatever ho.

chinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these parts
Default Re: im thinking about getting a 95-99 gst how are they

90-95 and 95-99 GSTs have the 4g63 engine in them. same engine in the Evo. motors not lasting long is false.. they are VERY durable motors..hence why mitsubishi has been using that motor for so long. however 95-99 GST 4g63 engines sometimes can get 'crankwalk' but crankwalk is overrated. it does happen but not in ALL 4g63s. If crankwalk were to occur it would have occured within the first 60k miles or so.. sometimes it happens after that mileage but usually it's pretty early in the car's lifetime. and STOCK they are slow.. they run a 15.0 flat. I mean it can beat most stock cars on the road.. but it's nothing impressive. Now drop about $3,000 or less into it and you'll be in the 12s or 13s. But you said this is for your wife and you want something LOW maintenance..hah. it's definately not low maintenance. Ask any DSM owner on this site.. anyone with a DSM has problems. they're motors are probably the best part of the car... everything else sucks. My windshield rattled on mine.. EVERYONE's door handles eventually break (cheap plastic).. interior feels cheap. If your wife doesn't know much about cars and doesn't know how to take care and maintain a car.. a DSM is deffinately not for her. DSMs burn a whole in your wallet. I'll admit mine was fun to drive.. but definately worth too much of a hassle.. my cig lighter stopped working.. sideview mirror controls.. transmission was a pain in the ass sometimes. and also in 95 there was no CONVERTIBLE.. that was 96-99. and 95-96 and 97-99 both have different body styles. the 97-99 is the better looking body style. If you want a turbo car that requires low maintenance.. i'd get something newer.. something 2000+.. maybe a WRX or SRT4.. just something newer with a warranty. DSMs are hobby cars. Mine was a daily driver.. but it had so many problems. loved it. but headaches all the time.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:35 AM

cimburke23 has disabled reputation

Low Maint and Modded DSM do not go together.

The convert's are heavier and a bit slow when in stock form, if u leave it alone the 4g63 is a pretty reliable engine other then the 7bolts like to crankwalk. I havent been in the DSM Game for awhile now, but im pretty sure there are a few DSM'ers here, i know Bandit is one.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:58 AM

steve420 has disabled reputation

so its all the little things that go wrong with them then. i wonder why. id like some more opinions before im sold on the idea that dms are crappy cars.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:29 PM
HAM

Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat

they're not crappy. they serve a purpose. probably the cheapest/easiest 4cyl to make fast. with that kind of thing going for it you get a bunch of crackheads who don't take care of the car and ghetto rig stuff on it trying to put out double the stock horsepower and then complain when stuff goes wrong.

crankwalk comes from oil problems and/or having a heavy clutch. all you have to do is pull out the clutch safety switch and start the car without pushing in the clutch and you probably won't have to worry about crankwalk, especially on the stock clutch.

99s crankwalk about as much as any other car with a crank...i.e. almost never.

If you must get one, get a 99 that's been taken care of. You can't ignore maintenence on these cars and get away with it like you can with a honda or toyota. Having said that it's probably not the best car for a girl who probably isn't going to take care of the car the way it needs. She'd be much happier with something like an s2000 or a toyota MR-S which is sporty but won't give you problems even if you slack off on maintaning it.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:43 PM
Company Man

LoWPRoFiLE LoWPRoFiLE LoWPRoFiLE

I'd get a 1st Gen. If you want a vert to bring in the women, I would rethink it. 2nd Gens are loosing their sexiness they once had, and are becoming older and older, especially with the 4th Gen out now.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by LoWPRoFiLE
I'd get a 1st Gen. If you want a vert to bring in the women, I would rethink it. 2nd Gens are loosing their sexiness they once had, and are becoming older and older, especially with the 4th Gen out now.

actually, imo the 2nd gens are getting sexier and sexier as more generations come out.

3rd and especially 4th gens are butt.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

IRR0MPIBLE has disabled reputation

agreed^
Old 09-19-2005, 03:06 AM
HAM

Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat

yeah not to mention

Originally Posted by LoWPRoFiLE
If you want a vert to bring in the women, I would rethink it.
Originally Posted by steve420
its for my wife anyways
i mean unless you know something about his wife that he doesn't
Old 09-19-2005, 03:23 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

i test drove a 97 or 98 gst last month cause i actually thought about getting one cause it was a pretty good deal and you got to admit they look really good, i got inside and a bunch of plastic pieces were broke, door handle and the seat handle and a couple trim pieces, the interior felt nice though, it was tan leather and not too bad, the one thing that turned me off was the fact that it was so motherfucking slow, my 1990 4 dr civic was faster than this thing, im dead serious, i was like, HOLY MOTHER this is slower then the automatic sentra im driving right now, i know if i dropped some money in it then it would have been fun but it turned me out. and then i looked in the engine bay and there was oil everywhere so i told the guy see ya later, im sticking with honda.....