Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

I need HELP!

Old 01-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BogusBubble has disabled reputation
Default I need HELP!

My 93 Miata wont start. When you turn the key it turns over, but doesn't start. i changed the fuel filter and nothing happened so It either the ignition coil or fuel pump. I think it's the pump, because when you turn it to acc. you don't hear the 2 second prime noise ( pump doesn't make a sound) and the pump is a Walbro 255 lph pump. I don't know if those pump go out a lot or not. let me know please. Thanks
Old 01-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: I need HELP!

It's possibly something as simple as a fuse or relay problem, but Walbro isn't the most reliable piece of equipment you can buy. Luckily, it's easy to test for power all the way up to the fuel tank before you assume the fuel pump is bad.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

BogusBubble has disabled reputation

I checked all the fuses and there good. I'll have to try that. If it is the fuel pump that is bad, what would be a good one to replace it with?
Old 01-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Banned

White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil

You need to keep 13.5v going to a Walbro pump or you can develop problems like this. Many people hotwire the pump to an alternate source of power with a higher voltage to circumvent this problem, but they only do that when they first install the pump.

We had one fail in dads bimmer 2 years ago. Mechanic replaced the pump with a newer one and hotwired it directly to another ignition-only wire that was 13.5v constant since the other one was on a 12v line.

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/tech...ms-anyone.html
Old 01-24-2012, 01:39 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

getting any spark?
Old 01-24-2012, 01:57 PM

trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky

Well? I guess he figured it out,
Old 01-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Delbanner
another ignition-only wire that was 13.5v constant since the other one was on a 12v line.
Come on man, you're killing me here.. They're the same thing. There is only one voltage source in an automotive electrical system. All you can do is use a larger wire and/or a more direct path to the battery.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by BogusBubble
I checked all the fuses and there good. I'll have to try that. If it is the fuel pump that is bad, what would be a good one to replace it with?
It doesn't matter if the fuse is good, if there is no power going to the fuse then the fuse doesn't matter at all.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Banned

White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Come on man, you're killing me here.. They're the same thing. There is only one voltage source in an automotive electrical system. All you can do is use a larger wire and/or a more direct path to the battery.
Ok...

Electrical has never been my thing, I was just trying to explain it the way the mechanic had told us.

I shouldnt believe everything I hear...
Old 01-24-2012, 05:47 PM

trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky

Originally Posted by BogusBubble
A known working one. Any luck??

Quick Reply: I need HELP!