Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Hydrolock

Old 09-12-2003, 11:12 AM
The Comeback Kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76
Default Hydrolock

Today I drove my car into what I though was a puddle but it ended up being damn lake. My car stopped and I didnt try to start the car again. I pushed it into a near by parking lot. I am pretty sure water got into my engine because I have an AEM CAI. What do you guys think I should do? Try to start it? Call my insurance company? Will my insurance company even cover this? I am with Progressive. Man im stressed out about this whole situation. Can someone please help me.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:17 AM

beach_XD_ is an unknown quantity at this point

i had that problem once before. i left my car sit over night and the in morning it started but it wasn't pretty. my suggestion... pull your plugs. all of them. and crank it over. dry your plugs out or put new ones in. then try to start it. you'll get all the water out of your engine. however you might of already done some perment damage to your engine. i did some heavy damage to my car. *hint* you live in va beach. invest in a bypass for your CAI. you know how bad the flooding gets every time it rains
Old 09-12-2003, 11:29 AM
Asshole Supreme

S dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud of

Your insurance company will have nothing to do with you or your car if you have a CAI on it. I suggest letting the car sit for a day, pull the plugs and crank the car over a few times. Water is going to spit out of the spark plug holes more than likely. Put a new set of plugs in and see if it will turn over. The engine is going to run rough as hell for a little while, if it starts. Don't be surprised if you bent a rod.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:29 AM
Lost Cat Magnet

drifterJERRY is an unknown quantity at this point

clear out your intake plumbing too...there might still be some water chillin in there. good luck, let us know how it blows.....i mean goes.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:07 PM
Smart Dumb cats

SHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond repute

Dont start it for 2 days. Pull the plugs and Drain your coolent and oil. then start it up.

I did the same thing last year. just waited and it started up and ran fine.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:53 PM
Pre-"Crash" Member

growley growley growley growley growley growley growley growley

This just happened to coolva. He pulled his plugs, started the car, and powerwashed the bottom of his hood.

Last edited by growley; 09-12-2003 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:11 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

i dont understand why any of you have a cai without a bypass valve, its 30 bucks and you could have saved yourself a big headache, BUY IT........
Old 09-12-2003, 03:06 PM
The Comeback Kid

Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76

I know Im a dummy. I just never though I would need it( bypass valve). I am going to let it sit til sunday then take out the plugs. Start it and hopefully the water gets out and put in new plugs. Pray then hope it starts and no damage. After that an oil change. Anything else I need to do? Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

Ultrabb6 has disabled reputation

Originally posted by 0psi
Your insurance company will have nothing to do with you or your car if you have a CAI on it. I suggest letting the car sit for a day, pull the plugs and crank the car over a few times. Water is going to spit out of the spark plug holes more than likely. Put a new set of plugs in and see if it will turn over. The engine is going to run rough as hell for a little while, if it starts. Don't be surprised if you bent a rod.
i've seen insurance companies insure motors with CAI. So, you never know. Scott, what happened to you at fixed ops last nite? You won some awards!
Old 09-12-2003, 06:15 PM
Captain night owl

vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger

just throw the stock back in....

Quick Reply: Hydrolock