Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

How to tell if a car has HID's?

Old 03-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jay357 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to tell if a car has HID's?

This is probably a dumb question but how can you tell? The car in question is a 97 sc400. I dont think it came with them stock but when the lights cut on they are very clear and they start out dim and become brighter after a couple seconds. Only the regular beams look like this. The high beams and fogs look like regular halogens. I didnt know if silverstars or something like that did the same.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:53 PM
AKA: SHY_GUY

S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy
Default Re: How to tell if a car has HID's?

See if there are ballasts(I think that's what they are called) behind the headlight, square box thing.

I'm not too knowledgeable on HIDs
Old 03-06-2008, 05:15 PM
1.6L Elitist

Newbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these parts

Ballasts... also a "warm up" or just look up the equipment on your car...
Old 03-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

I can typically tell by the intensity of the light. Projectors are sometimes a good sign, but not always necessary. Like previously mentioned, a ballast box behind the lamp is a good indicator of HIDs.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If the lights are very pure white, or bluish, they're HIDs. Well, unless they have some fancy bulbs in them. So yeah, look for a high voltage ballast somewhere.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

Ninja11 has disabled reputation
Talking Re: How to tell if a car has HID's?

does it blind people? yes= HID no = hallogen
Old 03-06-2008, 06:36 PM
No Rep, No Respect..

NeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the rough

From your description, it sounds like the car does have HIDs. The "warm up" you describe is what HIDS do when you first turn them on. Do the Low Beams seem to be Whiter or Blue compared to the High Beams, if so, you have them. Also, HIDS "pop" on. They don't come on slowly. The pop on, then brighten up.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NeverEnough
From your description, it sounds like the car does have HIDs. The "warm up" you describe is what HIDS do when you first turn them on. Do the Low Beams seem to be Whiter or Blue compared to the High Beams, if so, you have them. Also, HIDS "pop" on. They don't come on slowly. The pop on, then brighten up.
I dont know if they pop on cause they are automatic so I dont really notice. I just kinda notice them come on and then get brighter for the next couple seconds. They definetly seem to warm up and yes they are way clearer then the high beams or fogs. Im gonna look for a ballast tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

This is what the low beams look like compared to the fogs.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

Ninja11 has disabled reputation

99.99% sure that you have HID's , but the fogs are not.

Quick Reply: How to tell if a car has HID's?