Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

How to remove a name off a title in the state of VA? Need some insight.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:34 PM
CPL Us Army

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jpick_aap_cpp has disabled reputation
Default How to remove a name off a title in the state of VA? Need some insight.

I was wondering how to go about removing a name off a title my name is also on. Is it as simple as going to the DMV & asking for it removed or do i need some sort of supporting documentation? DMV is closed obviously at 634pm today so i cant go there & ask or call & ask. Figure i'd check & see if anyone else has had to go through this process & could offer some information about how to go about it.

Thanks in advance.

**edit**

Found this on google. Does this apply in the state of VA?

•Step 1
Take a look at the title. If the title says your name and then "AND/OR" the other person's name, you can title it yourself without the other person's permission or signature. If it simply says "AND" the other person's name, you will have to have his or her permission.

•Step 2
Contact the person whose name you wish to remove from the title. Ask for permission to remove his or her name. The person must agree to have the name removed.

•Step 3
Send the title in the mail to the person whose name you are removing. He or she must sign the back of the title over to you and mail it back to you.

•Step 4
Go to your local Department of Motor Vehicles. Explain that you need the title put in only your name and that you have it signed over. You will need to get a new title with only your name on it as well as new tags.

Last edited by jpick_aap_cpp; 06-17-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

ODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these parts
Default Re: How to remove a name off a title in the state of VA? Need some insight.

I'm curious of this as well..

are you basically transferring titles (not in a sale)?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:38 PM
CPL Us Army

Default Re: How to remove a name off a title in the state of VA? Need some insight.

Not exactly my thought just removing a name.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:16 AM
Zen
Registered Member

Zen Zen Zen Zen Zen Zen Zen Zen Zen Zen Zen

Are you in contact with the other person listed on the title? It's pretty much retitling/transferring the car. Can't remember the form at the top of my head. Fill out form, both people listed sign form/title, re-title. Pretty straight forward process.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:27 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

"Substitute Title" $10 fee. Everyone listed on the original title must sign. Form VSA 66.

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/c...substitute.asp
http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/vsa66.pdf

/thread.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:37 AM
CPL Us Army

thanks for the information. now just to get the person to sign is going to be tricky was hoping i could use my vet tags as proof & pull to not have the person sign.. just get it done. owell.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:41 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

that would be very illegal. could use the same method to steal vehicles via title change. forging a signature would land you in big trouble as well, grand theft auto, impersonation (signature), etc.