Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Hood or no hood = Legal or not

Old 12-14-2004, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00CivicGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hood or no hood = Legal or not

I just got a hatch and it needs some work.. Its driveable and since I do not have a trailer, guess what, gotta drive it..anyways, the hood will not latch completely and a shop told me it would be ok to drive it with out the hood. what is the law? can i drive it from picking it up with no hood just to get it home or to the shop ( 2 hour drive since its coming from NC) or what..
Old 12-14-2004, 01:02 PM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Hood or no hood = Legal or not

you can go with no hood. I've done it before and passed police. plus it looks neat.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:11 PM
Still a member...

Mr. Neon Boy has disabled reputation

so have I no problems for me....
Old 12-14-2004, 01:28 PM

mbui00 is a splendid one to beholdmbui00 is a splendid one to beholdmbui00 is a splendid one to beholdmbui00 is a splendid one to beholdmbui00 is a splendid one to beholdmbui00 is a splendid one to beholdmbui00 is a splendid one to beholdmbui00 is a splendid one to behold

As long as birds and bugs dont slam themselves into your engine bay.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:22 PM
Am I kawaii? Uguu~

Lawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these parts

I drove back and forth to richmond then out to va beach with no hood, no problems. Saw plenty of cops too.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:45 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

its illegal.

if the vehicle is equipped with it...it has to be there.

how do i know? two cops throw a 180 while test driving the BOSS with no hood.

and i can find the section for ya in the VSP code. i had it shown to me by the trooper that comes in the shop every week.

most of the time, you can get away with it, but if a cop wants to, he can ticket or impound ya shit.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:15 PM
Big Dick Playa

King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling

Originally Posted by fc735
if the vehicle is equipped with it...it has to be there.
this statement couldnt be more false.

reverse lights come stock. if the bulb and wiring are removed then its considered an ornament which no longer has to "work"

most new cars com equipped with pass side mirrors. or a rear view in that case. but law says you can have either or. so if you dont have a rear window or is tinted too dark or whatever then you must have both side mirrors but the rearview they dont care.

door handles came stock if shaved and you have poppers you legal.

as far as a hood. there are certain things a hood cannot have such as a certain height cowl because it obstructs driving visability.

but if you dont have one. your fine.

there are slot of things that come stock on the car that can be removed. like abs or srs

if you dont want airbags and you remove the whole srs sytem your fine.

so dont make a BS if it was there it has to be statement.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:17 PM
Big Dick Playa

King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling

im glad your a master tech. but i think you should study the state inspection manual a little more closely there are loopholes to the laws.

and i have 2 inspection manuals sittin in my room. one of the new ones and one of the old ones.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:43 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by mark w
im glad your a master tech. but i think you should study the state inspection manual a little more closely there are loopholes to the laws.

and i have 2 inspection manuals sittin in my room. one of the new ones and one of the old ones.

damn...i havent even gotten a new one yet, i still have the old version with about 100 updates. i do like the new ball joint rules though...makes me not have to look up specs for every fuckin car that comes in...

state inspection laws and VA motor vehicle laws are two completely different things though. i can pass a car with just a cat and no muffler...but you can get a ticket for driving that car. yes, its fucked up...but that is the way the laws are made.

reverse lights come stock. if the bulb and wiring are removed then its considered an ornament which no longer has to "work"
correct. but where does rev lights have anything to do with a hood?

most new cars com equipped with pass side mirrors. or a rear view in that case. but law says you can have either or. so if you dont have a rear window or is tinted too dark or whatever then you must have both side mirrors but the rearview they dont care.
right....but again, where does it have to do with a hood?

wrong. NO cars come from the factory with shaved handles. there must be a mechanical method of opening the door, electrical is not an accepted method.
as far as a hood. there are certain things a hood cannot have such as a certain height cowl because it obstructs driving visability.

right, its 1 7/8 after 1987 and 2 1/4 before that (i think, i gotta look in the manual every time i have a cowl hood come in to make sure. i know there is a break point in the late 80's, but i dont recall the exact date. but i have a manual and know how to look it up)

there are slot of things that come stock on the car that can be removed. like abs or srs

right. you can remove the aforementioned systems as long as the car is to operational standards.

where did i make a BS statement? for state inspection, it is legal to not have a hood. however....there is a section in the motor vehicle code that prohibits a vehicle from being operated on a VA state highway without factory installed body panels. Jeeps are kinda exempt (if you want to ride around with no doors on and risk falling out, thats your deal)

MOST cops dont enforce it, since its kinda a bullshit law, but the law is still there, so know that you COULD get a ticket.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:53 PM
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts

Please tell me you went to GB and not Hickory.

I hope we don't raise kids as dumb as you.

Quick Reply: Hood or no hood = Legal or not