Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

High Mileage 5 & 7 series Bimmers for a DD?

Old 05-24-2012, 09:23 AM
mmmmmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake
Default High Mileage 5 & 7 series Bimmers for a DD?

I have no experience with BMW ownership, but I have been kicking around the idea of buying 1999-2001 7 series or a newer 5 series (under $15k). This would be used as a partial DD as I would put coilovers and wheels on it and be done. Both cars would have over 100k miles, looking through bimmerforums, people just say to watch for vanos issues. But they are also saying to expect maintain costs of $2500+ a year. WTF needs replacing that often?

I've driven nothing but Toyotas, only maintenance I have is oil changes and tires twice a year because of my camber.

I'm at a loss for what the hell to buy as a second car, looking to stay under $20k and have $7k in cash now. I want something new to drive around, non civic/vw. My DD nets me 35mpg now and I have been hunting for an FD to buy to both DD some and track it. I'm shifting my thought though as I don't have the time to fully support a FD or other constant project. I just don't know if I want a vert / track car / vip , etc.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:37 AM
face is vanilla

Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face
Default Re: High Mileage 5 & 7 series Bimmers for a DD?

my e46 has over 200k miles and I spend no where close to that in maintenance. In the two years I've owned it I've had to replace the alternator and the fuel filter, as well and regular maintenance like oil changes, so thats a couple hundred over two years. I have no idea how they came up with $2500. Maybe if you are having all your maintenance done at the stealership, but if you are doing it yourself it shouldnt be much more, if any, than maintaining any other car. If you are commuting, A bimmer would make a nice DD if you are looking for comfort, but not for fuel economy. I sure as hell wouldn't DD a FD, that is neither comfortable or good on gas, and takes a lot of maintenance.

You are best off getting one that has all its maintenance records. It'll save you a lot of time and money in the long run.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:47 AM
mmmmmm

Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake

Thanks for the info. I live 6 miles from my office, so mpg on that end isn't a big deal. The killer for driving is Coaching, specially now with travel ball, as the next 4 weekends I will put down 600+ miles friday/sat/sun each weekend. I am paid back on some mileage.

I wouldn't mind an e38 that I can pay cash outright for.

I figured the $2500 included a dealership. I will do any work myself, I am passing on FD's right now as I want something I can drive whenever. Not looking to have it sit for 6 months as my 1 hour a week time frame to work on it.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:54 AM
got 7.62?

eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited

I had a 1995 525i with 240,000 Miles on it, and it ran like a fucking champ... But sucked down some oil though!!
Old 05-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Banned

twinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these parts

sounds like you need a SUBARU
Old 05-24-2012, 11:40 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

if you want lower maintenance and insurance costs, get a domestic. parts are much cheaper.

also fix your camber. tires 2x a year is stupid. my last set ran for 130k miles and still had plenty of tread (okay, they were truck tires, but you get the point).
Old 05-24-2012, 12:02 PM
mmmmmm

Originally Posted by twinturbomeow
sounds like you need a SUBARU
I was thinking about it. Could be a bit of a DD and track car. Insurance is $140 a month.

Originally Posted by Digital4N6
if you want lower maintenance and insurance costs, get a domestic. parts are much cheaper.

also fix your camber. tires 2x a year is stupid. my last set ran for 130k miles and still had plenty of tread (okay, they were truck tires, but you get the point).
I have no interest in a domestic, nor is insurance or maintenance costs an issue. Time, is the issue, with how much I can dedicate to a 2nd car if I were to track it.
My DD is slammed, with -4 camber, awful tire wear is the norm. My tires run about 10k miles.

I am keeping a budget price for a car to stay within my means of play time money. Just looking for something new to drive around in. I have no actual need/requirement for a 2nd car, just a "want".
Old 05-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

You DO NOT want a high mileage BMW w/ a v8. They are extremely expensive to maintain. I know you'd be pissed when you find out it needs timing chain/guides/oil separator and have to pay someone like me thousands of dollars to do it. 6 cyl is the way to go.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Registered member

SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad

i had two 525is both over 150k and they both ran better and more comfortably than my current dd (g35). had to replace the vanos unit in one of them and fan/shround in the other. That and tires/oil changes/brakes were litterally the only maintenance i performed in 3 years.

id deff stick with any e34/e39 besides 540s and stay from any 7, specially as a dd.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Friendly Jackboot

sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80

Originally Posted by Harold_Fastwake
I'm at a loss for what the hell to buy as a second car, looking to stay under $20k and have $7k in cash now.
Please tell me you don't plan on financing the rest...

I think it's kind of sad to finance a 10+ year old car that has over 100k. If that doesn't apply to you so be it.

Last edited by sidewaysil80; 05-24-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Quick Reply: High Mileage 5 & 7 series Bimmers for a DD?