Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

HID experts, please join in!

Old 08-20-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm Herpes Free!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo98 has a reputation beyond reputeturbo98 has a reputation beyond reputeturbo98 has a reputation beyond reputeturbo98 has a reputation beyond reputeturbo98 has a reputation beyond reputeturbo98 has a reputation beyond reputeturbo98 has a reputation beyond reputeturbo98 has a reputation beyond reputeturbo98 has a reputation beyond reputeturbo98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default HID experts, please join in!

For the sake of arguements, will someone please explain the color difference's in HIDs. I believe that a 5k set is brighter in distance and allows you to see more than say a 10k set, but the 10k has more color and a wider beam. If I'm wrong, please explain why...thanks!
Old 08-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: HID experts, please join in!

Usually beam width has more to do with bulb type and reflector type, because that is what emits light (bulb) and focuses that light (reflector). Color temperature is how pure the color is, so the higher you go (10k for example), the bluer you get, but you're getting into the range where some of the light isn't detected well by your eyes so they don't look as bright. This is the same reason why you can only see a little of the light coming from a cheap black light bulb (you can't see any coming from a good black light bulb, because its out of our visual spectrum). A black light bulb puts out a lot of light energy, but in a range that your eye can't detect. So blue bulbs won't usually look as bright as white bulbs. The whiter the light, the brighter it will look for some given amount of light output, as it carries the most energy across the whole spectrum (instead of only part of the spectrum with a blue light).

Anyway, color temp is just about color, and rated lumens is the measure of how much light it puts out. Beam width and shape depends on the bulb and reflector, not the color.
I like white HIDs; they put out the most useable light, and they look like OEM so you don't get hassled by cops for having blue (obviously aftermarket and therefore illegal) HIDs.
So now you know.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 08-20-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

ethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Usually beam width has more to do with bulb type and reflector type, because that is what emits light (bulb) and focuses that light (reflector). Color temperature is how pure the color is, so the higher you go (10k for example), the bluer you get, but you're getting into the range where some of the light isn't detected well by your eyes so they don't look as bright. This is the same reason why you can only see a little of the light coming from a cheap black light bulb (you can't see any coming from a good black light bulb, because its out of our visual spectrum). A black light bulb puts out a lot of light energy, but in a range that your eye can't detect. So blue bulbs won't usually look as bright as white bulbs. The whiter the light, the brighter it will look for some given amount of light output, as it carries the most energy across the whole spectrum (instead of only part of the spectrum with a blue light).

Anyway, color temp is just about color, and rated lumens is the measure of how much light it puts out. Beam width and shape depends on the bulb and reflector, not the color.
I like white HIDs; they put out the most useable light, and they look like OEM so you don't get hassled by cops for having blue (obviously aftermarket and therefore illegal) HIDs.
So now you know.

good info..i was kind of wondering the same thing
Old 08-20-2008, 06:22 PM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

God damn, know it all Fabrik8. You really are a Smart Feller
Old 08-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If by 'smart' you mean 'obsessed with cars'..
Old 08-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If by 'smart' you mean 'obsessed with cars'..
It's just amazing how well of a response you give to people. You know your shit.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Racetracks

It just sticks in my brain and never leaves, unlike most of what I learn at school. I guess I remember what I think is interesting. Explaining stuff is fun though, and I feel obligated to share knowledge and fight misinformation. That sounds horribly nerdy I know, but I get so frustrated about the absolute crap about cars that I hear people spreading.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:53 AM
Registered Member

JLui83 is an unknown quantity at this point

go with 5K
Old 08-21-2008, 07:40 AM
FACK YER ESS PEE OHH

all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's

damn....that was probably one of the best answers/explanations ive read in a while....nice
Old 08-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Still spinnin'

Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n

I've been meaning to ask Fabrik8 what shop he work's for or owns b/c he can explain anything.

Quick Reply: HID experts, please join in!