Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Help, my Blazer looks like shit

Old 12-28-2003, 09:07 AM
1997 Dakota 3.9L V6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
squier8484 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help, my Blazer looks like shit

My Blazer broke down on me a while back and was put in storage. They didn't have the keys to it and my windows were down so they put some kind of sticky plastic crap over the windows. I got a lot of it off, but with it being cold it's flaking on me. I tried Goo Gone and it didn't work. Does anyone know anything that can get this stuff off. Possibly someone that's had this happen to them. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:59 AM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

If that sticky crap you are talking about is the glue from what ever they used to attach it with, try Zippo lighter fluid. It won't hurt your paint and it will dissolve the glue really easily. However, after that is done, I would go over the entire surface that had glue on it with a good polish AND wax and you should be good as new.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:14 AM
Patron

soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion

It wouldn't hurt to heat up the area with a hair dryer before using the lighter fluid. Softening up the adhesive even a little helps the lighter fluid do it's magic easier.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:49 AM
1997 Dakota 3.9L V6

squier8484 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. Will it still work if there is still some of the plastic on? When I tried to just pull it off when I got it back it didn't come off all in one piece.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:33 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

Originally posted by squier8484
Thanks. Will it still work if there is still some of the plastic on? When I tried to just pull it off when I got it back it didn't come off all in one piece.
In that case I would definately try a hair dryer to heat up the surface and then carefully roll up the plastic with your thumb. Be careful not to get it too hot though. The lighter fluid will only work on the glue its self, it won't dissolve the plastic. It might take a little time, but it will come off. Good luck
Old 12-28-2003, 04:34 PM
A.P.E.

385LT1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have good luck with "Sticker Shock" or a comparable product.

It is designed to remove exactly what you are talking about...

Nasty glue left from bumper stickers, removing complete stickers off of paint.

Hell, it even works very well in removing dial in ( or shoe polish) off of windows.

2cents
Old 12-28-2003, 04:49 PM
THE FIASCO

blasko is on a distinguished road

hey man try naptha, i wo na guitar shop and use it to get years of smoke sweat beerstains and gunk off of guitars.

naptha is basically lighter fluid on crack.

works like a champ and its non abrassive to the surface
Old 12-28-2003, 04:54 PM
A.P.E.

Originally posted by blasko
years of smoke sweat beerstains and gunk off of guitars.
LMAO
Old 12-28-2003, 05:07 PM
THE FIASCO

blasko is on a distinguished road

seriously man, it works miracles.

ive seen guitars that were played in bars 5 nights a week for 30 years turn beautifull with this stuff.

its the sweet nectar of the gods in my book.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:19 PM
A.P.E.

Originally posted by blasko
seriously man, it works miracles.

ive seen guitars that were played in bars 5 nights a week for 30 years turn beautifull with this stuff.

its the sweet nectar of the gods in my book.

i take it you have a bottle of this stuff handy then... How about a little automotive R&D for us then.....

how does this stuff work on interior, wheels, tires..... etc....

Quick Reply: Help, my Blazer looks like shit