Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Good auto cross/daily driver car?

Old 10-16-2011, 07:24 AM
Zombies found Waldo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie
Default Good auto cross/daily driver car?

in december i will be looking for a new (used)car. it will be daily driven but i would also like something that i can occasionally track. i have never raced before and i dont plan on going crazy with events or mods. upgraded brake pads, tires, stiffer springs. I have about 8k to spend on the car. so far i have thought of a few cars that i thought might fit the role, but tell me what you guys think.

-Acura RSX
-Ford Focus SVT
-03ish Nissan Sentra SE-R

i may be completely off base with the cars, but they fit what i am looking for, good on gas, cheap, reliable, easy to work on, comfortable and decent handling. it also has to have a back seat. so i am open to suggestions.
i am not looking to win necissarily or have 300+ hp.

sorry for any typos, im on my phone.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Needs more poke.

Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada
Default Re: Good auto cross/daily driver car?

If it didnt have to have a backseat I would say miata. But if it has to have a backseat, neither of those are bad choices. The SE-R gets a pretty bad rep, but it's actually a decent car. My brother got an 02 spec v when they first came out and he autocrossed and tracked it and it did really well. But honestly if I was in your position I would try and find a decent s14. Theres endless possibilities as far as modifying goes and they can be made to handle very well.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher

I would personally try for something rwd/awd if you plan on tracking it. Pretty much what Derek said...I'd look into a Miata, 240, maybe a late 90s RS Impreza, ect. Im a fan of the the SE-R but I'm not sure of the aftermarket support.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:12 AM
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded

Lotus Super 7
Old 10-16-2011, 10:12 AM
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded

But of those, the Focus or the RSX

Those SE-Rs were bloated and blah
Old 10-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Audi Fan

keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz

UrS4/6 = cheap, AWD 2.2l 20v turbo fun and EASY as hell to work on

I may sell mine for the right price and that would be well in your budget. It's got about 300 to the wheels, and most of the upgrades you would probably already do.

Last edited by keefboz; 10-16-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: reading owns me
Old 10-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

SVT Contour!

but really...I think it's a better car than all those you have listed, and you'd have cash left over.
oh and this conveniently just came up for sale http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showth...nt-Contour-SVT

But for 8k you could also get an SRT-4, 99-04 Mustang GT, bugeye WRX...
Miata is still the best car for what you're looking for really. I can't think of anything RWD for that price except for the moosestang, f-body, or 240.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:30 PM
Eat me.

Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta

TSX
Old 10-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

not fer 8k
Old 10-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Zombies found Waldo

buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie

Originally Posted by Tarzan Bakerada
If it didnt have to have a backseat I would say miata. But if it has to have a backseat, neither of those are bad choices. The SE-R gets a pretty bad rep, but it's actually a decent car. My brother got an 02 spec v when they first came out and he autocrossed and tracked it and it did really well. But honestly if I was in your position I would try and find a decent s14. Theres endless possibilities as far as modifying goes and they can be made to handle very well.
Originally Posted by Muncher
I would personally try for something rwd/awd if you plan on tracking it. Pretty much what Derek said...I'd look into a Miata, 240, maybe a late 90s RS Impreza, ect. Im a fan of the the SE-R but I'm not sure of the aftermarket support.
I'd love a 240 but it is almost impossible to find one that is not hacked up and beat to hell for a decent price. Unless it's A/T and I def want a manual.

Originally Posted by Reloaded
But of those, the Focus or the RSX

Those SE-Rs were bloated and blah
I really like the focus, mostly because it different and there probably won't be many of them on the track.

Originally Posted by POS DSM
SVT Contour!

but really...I think it's a better car than all those you have listed, and you'd have cash left over.
oh and this conveniently just came up for sale http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showth...nt-Contour-SVT

But for 8k you could also get an SRT-4, 99-04 Mustang GT, bugeye WRX...
Miata is still the best car for what you're looking for really. I can't think of anything RWD for that price except for the moosestang, f-body, or 240.
SRT-4's are cool. If they belong to someone else. I don't think I could own one because all I see is a neon. Fast or not, it still looks like a neon.

Mustang is out of the question, I already have an SUV. I can't afford 2 gas hogs. And I honestly didn't think I could get a bugeye for that price. I'll look into that.

Quick Reply: Good auto cross/daily driver car?