VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   Ghetto Rigging. (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/ghetto-rigging-116910/)

Spindrift 11-16-2005 07:22 PM

Re: Ghetto Rigging.

Originally Posted by soulDistortion
if you ever looked, on jesus' old 240, where I removed the emissions stuff (you know, the AIV crap), I plugged the holes with lugnuts, duct tape, and zipties.

Yea thats how I did mine before I took the whole damn thing out...Body panels with zipties and duct tape, power steering pump held on by zipties, and lotsa Qwik steel.

The current car is the least ghetto one ive had surprisingly...Sorta.

757 BMW 525i 11-16-2005 08:01 PM

i made my own short shifter :D well...shorted the knob by 2 inches

Qwiksillva 11-16-2005 08:20 PM

I tried to stop a fuel rail leak with JB weld on my RX-7 at one point.

Let's say that didn't work out too well... I turned on the fuel pump while under the hood and the rail literally blew and the fuel shot right in my eyes. Gasoline stings the fuck out of your eyes.

non-vtecpower 11-16-2005 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by j4k3
my rear bumper is help on by two screws

lol.. It has no bumper support. And i was done with the swap and wanted to drive it.. So i put two sheet metal screws threw it. Just never got around to buying a rear bumper support before you bought it from me..:cool:

j4k3 11-17-2005 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by non-vtecpower
lol.. It has no bumper support. And i was done with the swap and wanted to drive it.. So i put two sheet metal screws threw it. Just never got around to buying a rear bumper support before you bought it from me..:cool:

its cool it gives the ass a little bit of bling if the sun hits it right ;)

Slo DSM 11-17-2005 08:57 AM

1.) I fragged the hell out of my trans at the street races in Jacksonville one night, and had to have one of my billy-bob friends tow my car the 30 miles back to the shop where I worked at the time. We used a chain and had it wrapped around the lower crossmember.

Just as we were pulling into the shop parking lot, the chain snapped and put a quarter size hole in my radiator. Seeing that I was already going to be out for the money that I would have to spend on a trans, I used a combination of JB Weld, 8802(military version of RTV), and a piece of plastic that I trimmed off of a fender liner. This was supposed to be a temp fix until I could afford another radiator. 2 years later it held up like a champ. I completely forgot about it until it started leaking after puttting a new water pump on the car.

Finally ponied up and bought a Fluidyne.

2.) I'm a DSM'r. Zip ties are my best friend. Currently zip-tied: Idle speed control motor zipped out of the way to curb cel's, MAP sensor to the fuel rail; injector connectors zip tied on, since they got so brittle and cracked (too busy to fix..)

3.) PS pump took a shit, so I removed it and the lines and just opened up the rack.

There is no such thing as ghetto rigging, it's just simply "re-engineering in a cost efficient measure" :D

Spindrift 11-17-2005 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Slo DSM
There is no such thing as ghetto rigging, it's just simply "re-engineering in a cost efficient measure" :D

Ooooo new sig! haha

EVOEatr 11-17-2005 10:57 AM

I have jb weld on a hole in my intercooler pipe and it's held up to full boost for 4 months now!

Paul 11-17-2005 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by OBXBoost
This *SHOULD* prove to be a very interesting thread.

I don't care how "anti-rice" you call yourself, everyone has done it at one point or another. Whether it was an on the spot fix or a neccessity that you forgot about. Duct Tape, Zip Ties, Wedging items in to hold parts apart, putting screws in places that they were never in before......
Post your stories.

I fixed a hole in the floor of 1984 toyota corrolla with packing tape and cardboard. I also replaced a broken drivers door window with the incorrect window. I carried a broken boom box around on the floor as my radio. Oh and none of my guages worked on the dash because of a short circuit.

Qwiksillva 11-17-2005 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by EVOEatr
I have jb weld on a hole in my intercooler pipe and it's held up to full boost for 4 months now!

Not quite the same on a fuel rail though. The pressure is what, like 45psi on a fuel rail normally?