Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

getting a loan for a used car (pvt seller)

Old 10-03-2004, 03:16 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough
Default getting a loan for a used car (pvt seller)

does anyone here happen to know what the easiest way to go about getting a loan to buy a car from a pvt seller. im really trying to stay away from buying something from a used car dealership, simply to save myself the trouble of getting assraped with interest. what are some of the qualifications as far as income, etc.. any help is appreciated.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:28 PM
hostgator.com

flow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these parts
Default Re: getting a loan for a used car (pvt seller)

Same exact way you get a loan for a new or used dealer car. Goto your credit union (notice I didnt' say bank, banks are shitty.) and apply. Bring in a paystub and your ID and get preapproved

If the cars older than 2000 nowadays, most banks will only give you a 3 year old asopposed to 5-6. Which of course makes a huge difference in the price per month, but you pay it off more quickly. I have 3yrs on my Cobra

If you have no credit, goodluck. My first loan was for $2k and was 18%. I could go buy any 2000+ car right now for either 4.5% or 0.9 or something %.. So pay attention to that too.

If I bought a brand new car, for about $25k, with a 5-6 year loan, i'd be paying less than what I'm paying a month for my cobra.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:56 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Talk to your bank, they do this all the time. They'll take you through the process and answer all of your questions. Unless they suck and really don't want your business..
As a side note, ask them if they give special rates for direct withdrawal (automatic payment), my bank offered me almost a full percent lower on my loan if I did that and 2 other really trivial things that I don't remember any more relating to my account.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:59 PM
My President's black

MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait

navy federal.......thats all imma say..them niggas never say no
Old 10-03-2004, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

Black Z-24 Black Z-24

I just took out a loan from Langley Federal Credit Union. With my credit (preferred), they gave me $7000 @ 4.5% for 48 months (or $7000 @ 4.99% for 60 months)

This only applies for cars 1999+ though. Anything older it will range from 8.74%-upwards or 18%, depending on your beacon score and income.

EDIT: Also, to do this, they need collateral. They usually use the title of the loan...which puts a lien on your title.

I don't have a car yet, so I had to take out a signature loan, now buy a car, and take out the above loan to pay that signature off. Complicated, but that's how it work.

Last edited by Black Z-24; 10-03-2004 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:40 PM
2004 Danceoff Champ

Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy

I got my loan from www.capitaloneautofinance.com and got a pretty good rate for a used car from a private seller.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:22 PM
show no mercy

2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC

i was approved for up to 18,000 on a used car from langley with a good rate. langley is great
Old 10-04-2004, 12:32 PM
aznRay...

yeer is an unknown quantity at this point

never had a problem with newport news shipbuilding credit union

got the itr and the rsx thru them
Old 10-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Gone.

FlipLegend is infamous around these partsFlipLegend is infamous around these partsFlipLegend is infamous around these partsFlipLegend is infamous around these partsFlipLegend is infamous around these partsFlipLegend is infamous around these partsFlipLegend is infamous around these partsFlipLegend is infamous around these partsFlipLegend is infamous around these partsFlipLegend is infamous around these partsFlipLegend is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Black Z-24
I just took out a loan from Langley Federal Credit Union. With my credit (preferred), they gave me $7000 @ 4.5% for 48 months (or $7000 @ 4.99% for 60 months)

This only applies for cars 1999+ though. Anything older it will range from 8.74%-upwards or 18%, depending on your beacon score and income.

EDIT: Also, to do this, they need collateral. They usually use the title of the loan...which puts a lien on your title.
I got a 6K loan from Navy Fed for a 93 Acura and they still gave me the 4.5% interest.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:50 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough

the car im looking at buying is a 92-95 coupe for 3000-3500. my credit, well, i have little to none. you say credit unions are usually easier to get a loan with? i have an account at lfcu and wachovia, however i havent used the langley account in almost 2 yrs (it might be closed, i dont know). the car im looking at buying is from a friend. would it help if i could convince him to give me the title to the car to use at collateral? other problem im looking at facing is i just recently started my new job and have been unemployed for a few months before that.

Quick Reply: getting a loan for a used car (pvt seller)