Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Future Carbon Fiber Mustangs to shed 750 pounds

Old 04-13-2012, 04:29 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
twinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these parts
Default Future Carbon Fiber Mustangs to shed 750 pounds

Already several years into a switch to more efficient EcoBoost engines, the next big move for the Ford Motor Company in the fight to reach increasingly strict fuel economy targets is to significantly reduce the weight of its vehicles.

To help meet those goals the American automaker has today announced a partnership with Dow Automotive Systems to develop low cost, light weight carbon fiber vehicle components.

The goal, says Ford, is to help shed as much as 750 pounds per vehicle by the end of the decade. While carbon fiber is used by a few smaller automakers or in limited production vehicles, Ford’s plan is to integrate the light-weight yet ultra-strong material into its mainstream volume products.
“There are two ways to reduce energy use in vehicles: improving the conversion efficiency of fuels to motion and reducing the amount of work that powertrains need to do,” said Paul Mascarenas, Ford chief technical officer and VP of Research and Innovation. “Ford is tackling the conversion problem primarily through downsizing engines with EcoBoost and electrification while mass reduction and improved aerodynamics are keys to reducing the workload.”

Reducing weight, says Florian Schattenmann, head of R&D for Dow Automotive Systems, is, “particularly critical to improving the range of plug-in hybrid and battery electric vehicles.”

Ford and Dow will work together to create an affordable way to source carbon fiber as well as a low cost method to integrate it into volume vehicles.

If successful, the use of carbon fiber components on volume cars like the Focus, Fusion and Mustang could happen by the end of the decade.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...s-per-car.html

Thoughts?
This makes me want one but i bet they'll lose more like 250 lbs. Anyways im sure this will be a great reason for Ford to bump up the price tag to 60k.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:47 AM
Eat A Dick

Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff
Default Re: Future Carbon Fiber Mustangs to shed 750 pounds

Because OEM body parts weren't expensive enough
Old 04-13-2012, 04:57 AM
-RepLegion

SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec

Fuckin Mustangs!

Old 04-13-2012, 05:24 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Mustang fanboys threw a tantrum when it looked like the solid axle was going to be dropped for an IRS (and Ford listened). I can't wait to see the fallout when body panels start being produced out of something other than steel. I can already picture in my mind the thousands of "Steel is real" signature lines on the Mustang forums.... Maybe T-shirts from CafePress or something too.

I know how to make it weigh less:

Make the damn thing smaller.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 04-13-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:59 AM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

I never could figure out how a car so big could have an interior so small.

But hey I know how to significantly make cars cheaper. Get rid of the NHTSA and EPA
Old 04-13-2012, 07:07 AM
Banned

White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil

In other related news....

The first carbon fiber Mustang to be purchased after rolling off the assembly line in 2015 was obliterated by its owner as he was accelerating to almost 150mph. Apparently the car was too lightweight and moving so fast that the owner lost control of the vehicle, swerved onto oncoming lanes of an interstate, and came to rest as a hood ornament for two Kenworth tractor trailers.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:08 AM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

Originally Posted by 2 Chainz
Because OEM body parts weren't expensive enough
This.

more than likely the number one reason carbon hasnt been used in more production cars.

blame the people who want heated mirrors, power/heated seats, Navi, ETC for pigging up cars, thus decreasing gas mileage, so more exotic materials have to be used to get the weight back down.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

Wasn't it just a couple years ago there was a shortage of carbon fiber in the country?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 AM
A.K.A Jebus

Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo

Originally Posted by POS DSM
Wasn't it just a couple years ago there was a shortage of carbon fiber in the country?
Is that why all the ricers drank the kool-aid?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1

Still not enough to make me ever want to get one.

Quick Reply: Future Carbon Fiber Mustangs to shed 750 pounds