Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.
View Poll Results: What type of route do you take to work?
Most direct
51.28%
Most enjoyable
23.08%
Something in between
25.64%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Fastest way to work, most enjoyable, or something in between?

Old 03-18-2010, 04:57 AM
Fanboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B
Default Fastest way to work, most enjoyable, or something in between?

My typical morning = snooze until the last minute, then get ready and run out the door and drive to work via Oceana to 264 to Wichduck. It's a borring drive and what with 264 getting worse pavement wise I decided to try something different. Took all side roads home from work yesterday and then in to work today... only took me 5 more minutes to get home and about 9 more to get here. However, in spite of the longer time the drive was much more enjoyable. I won't call it the most enjoyable becuase that would probably involve cruising up Atlantic to Shore drive then back tracking to work, but that'd take quite awhile... maybe I'll reserve that for really nice Friday mornings

So what say you?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:04 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout
Default Re: Fastest way to work, most enjoyable, or something in between?

no option listed for 'depends on the situation'...

when i'm on the bike i will always take the most enjoyable. otherwise, probably the quickest, as i don't really view my commute as 'spirited driving time'. maybe i should, now that my car is actually tolerable to drive again...

when i was still working on the norfolk base, i would typically take 64/564 in the car and shore/granby on the bike. here in maryland, neither option is really enjoyable... i either get a straight freeway shot on md-100 or a couple nondescript curves and multiple stoplights on md-175 to get to the office... yet one more reason the bike will be on its way to a new owner soon...
Old 03-18-2010, 05:08 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

True.... it does depend. If I'm driving my truck there's no point in taking a more pleasant route.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:29 AM
Registered Member

IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN

You left out an option...least traffic.

The route I take to work takes a few more minutes, is not very scenic, but is much less stressful.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:41 AM
B Nice

STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW

I hate my drive to and from work. I have maybe 3 options.

Get on 64E and sit in traffic most of it, then get stuck behind idiots going 60mph in the fast lane. I also have to deal with people abusing 3 merge lanes on my way in or home. People abusing merge lanes probably piss me off more than anything.

Ride Laburnum from Varina to Richmond and take like 2 side streets. No curves at all, 35mph limit through 80% of this. Lots of idiots that can't even keep their vehicle in their own lane (they are a little narrow, but FFS).

Ride 64E and then take 95S to 195/Downtown Express Way and get off the Hamilton exit. Few nice curves and a toll gate I can launch out of, but with traffic you never have enough speed to take the turns fast and with 5-6 lanes going into 1 at the toll it's hard to find a good time to launch and go 0-70 without coming near any other cars. There are also 2 merge lanes that get abused if I go this way.

My drive to work SUCKS. I've thought about it a few times on how I could make it less stressful, but there just simply isn't a way to get home and make it fun.

EDIT: I miss my ride to work from my dad's house. He lives in King William and I'd have to drive about an hour to get to work. About 50% of that was nice curvy backroads and the other was decent interstate driving. Or another option I could do was take about 75% backroads and it would add maybe 5-10 minutes to my drive.

Last edited by STi_FTMFW; 03-18-2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:44 AM
Jay
VR-4ever

Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay

Morning = Taking the most direct route, other drivers, GTFO out of the way.

Afternoon = leisurely drive home until I hit P.A. to Farrell, then the right pedal goes through the floor.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:49 AM
This.isEntertainment

Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn

the route with the best roads option please.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:40 AM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

i take the most direct, because i hate driving in the mornings, but afternoons ill just drive where ever i please
Old 03-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

Neither, because I live in northern virginia, and I have no enjoyable options
Old 03-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ

I get on the interstate, set the cruise at 69 and go to sleep until I get to college drive and then I kinda wake up and hop in a tractor trailer and do the same thing back to the beach.

Quick Reply: Fastest way to work, most enjoyable, or something in between?