Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

F1 envious of NASCAR?

Old 02-21-2004, 07:57 AM
Awesome.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E
Default F1 envious of NASCAR?

Well, not quite. But this guy seems a little upset:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=1739124
Old 02-21-2004, 08:21 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: F1 envious of NASCAR?

That's not the first time I've agreed with Ron Dennis..
I don't see the NASCAR thrill either, it's boring as hell..
I guess if you're totally in love with Chevys than F1 doesn't do anything for you as a race fan. Something about NASCAR technology doesn't do it for me.
I like my cars fuel injected, thanks..
Old 02-21-2004, 08:35 AM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

NASCAR only has a bigger market here, every where else it's F1. It's like comparing World Cup Soccer to the NFL. The NFL owns the US market, but elsewhere not so much.

All I have to say is thank God I'm American, I love me some Super Bowl
Old 02-21-2004, 10:39 AM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

Well, I read the article and came away thinking Mr. Dennis would like F1 to realize that the American Market is a major force, and as such F1 should take bigger strides in figuring out how to become a stronger presence in it.

Now, I love me some NASCAR, but I like F1 just the same, but for totally different reasons, and I'd like to see them both do well over here.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:01 PM
Company Man

LoWPRoFiLE LoWPRoFiLE LoWPRoFiLE

I wonder if Ford and Chevy guys have big brawls in the parking lot after NASCAR events.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:09 PM
Awesome.

The answer is yes.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:17 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

People get into fistfights over whose NASCAR driver is better, so probably parking lot brawls, yeah. I'm surprised F1 doesn't have brawls to though, with all the euro soccer hooligans. Maybe they don't follow racing though..
Maybe it's just that americans like to relate more to what they are comfortable with, like pseudo-chevy racecars that they can buy at a dealer in stock form. I don't pretend to know what goes on in a NASCAR fan's head.. =)
Old 02-21-2004, 01:26 PM
Maria Giovanna Bella

Hoopride2000 is infamous around these partsHoopride2000 is infamous around these partsHoopride2000 is infamous around these partsHoopride2000 is infamous around these partsHoopride2000 is infamous around these partsHoopride2000 is infamous around these partsHoopride2000 is infamous around these partsHoopride2000 is infamous around these partsHoopride2000 is infamous around these partsHoopride2000 is infamous around these partsHoopride2000 is infamous around these parts

"NASCAR is also proof that motorsport does not need cigarettes to thrive."

No they dont but NASCAR do have alcohol sponsors all over their cars. Im not knocking NASCAR because it does require skill just not all balls to the wall skill more strategy skill is needed. F1 is face paced get out in front and stay there type of race. Nascar is a place good, use your tires and know when to pit, like Lemans. If you ask me Lemans is the best racing challenge, Endurance and balls to the wall high speed cornering.

As far as people fighting over NASCAR...everyone fights over sports. Look at soccer in Europe. The English government told its citizens not to go to Turkey for the Turkey-England Euro 2004 Qualifier because they could get injured or killed. They dont like each other much so they will kill each other over a damn 90 minute match. Its nuts...
Old 02-21-2004, 01:27 PM
Maria Giovanna Bella

Hoopride2000 is infamous around these partsHoopride2000 is infamous around these partsHoopride2000 is infamous around these partsHoopride2000 is infamous around these partsHoopride2000 is infamous around these partsHoopride2000 is infamous around these partsHoopride2000 is infamous around these partsHoopride2000 is infamous around these partsHoopride2000 is infamous around these partsHoopride2000 is infamous around these partsHoopride2000 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
People get into fistfights over whose NASCAR driver is better, so probably parking lot brawls, yeah. I'm surprised F1 doesn't have brawls to though, with all the euro soccer hooligans. Maybe they don't follow racing though..
Maybe it's just that americans like to relate more to what they are comfortable with, like pseudo-chevy racecars that they can buy at a dealer in stock form. I don't pretend to know what goes on in a NASCAR fan's head.. =)
Oh they do my friend. F1 fans are crazy as well. They are older though so not as much hooliganism as in soccer.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:50 PM
Drink Up, Chumps

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

I think the problem is that there is no one for the Americans to root for. They don't know who anyone is and all of the car manufactures are imported. (I know Jaguar = Ford) All that is needed is some hot shit kid racer from the U.S. to come up and become a major force in the game. That'll get him on ESPN and after that, it's money. Because if F1 is gonna thrive in the U.S., the media has to have it's back. Christ, NASCAR has it's own fucking channel (SPEED TV). And for F1 races, there's a 5 second spot on SportsCenter.

Then again there's always option number two. F1 admits defeat and Mercedes-McLaren enters a C-class into NASCAR; giving the Europeans something to root about.

Quick Reply: F1 envious of NASCAR?