Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Exhaust Court date soon

Old 12-05-2003, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ProbeGT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Exhaust Court date soon

Hi. I recently was pulled over for a 35 in a 25 (yea i know it was dumb. I couldnt see my speedo cause my lights burned out)

But anyway. The cop didnt hear my exhaust because I was coasting and he was coming from the opposite direction that I was. He clocked me coming towards him. He turned around and pulled me. He then looked around my car and said my exhaust was illegal. It isnt loud at all. Is there any way to fight this? I just dont think that having a muffler that looks loud is a reason to give someone a ticket.

I even bought a silencer for it. Its dead quiet.

Any tips on how I can get out of this? I really dont want to replace my exhaust.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:00 PM
Site Founder

sung sung sung sung sung sung sung sung sung sung sung

here's a recent thread... i just searched for you.

http://www.dragva.com/forums/showthr...threadid=32530

goodluck.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:22 PM

ProbeGT is an unknown quantity at this point

So should I ask him what he thinks would be a good equivelent replacement should be?

I definitly dont want to pay this ticket without saying at least something.

They dont make my car anymore (stopped in 97). Should I buy something that LOOKS similar to stock? (Borla makes exhaust for my car that looks almost exact but its hella loud)
Old 12-06-2003, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

heres what i did with my exhaust ticket... took my 50-state legal papers that came with it to court, judge said that doesn't matter anything that isn't a factory replacement is illegal, i played dumb and acted equally angered at the exhaust manufactorer and said shit if i had known that i wouldn't have even bought it damn they ripped me off of 500$ because they told me it was legal... and then the judge smiled and told me how in life you'll find what people tell you and what is really true is often different, i said yea it was a expensive lesson and told him if he gave me a few weeks i would find a stock replacement and return, he said just bring me pictures and a receipt... brought him a copy of my ebay invoice for a stock exhaust and a polaroid of it on my car and he dismissed it... if you dont mind going back to stock, atleast long enough to take a picture, then i'd try this... if you want to keep it on the car then your screwed, if you try and argue how its quiet and 50 state legal and stuff you will only further anger the judge... if your morals dont bother you just find a same color car with a stock exhaust and take a picture of it and say its yours, and drive someone else's car to court so the cop that pulled you doesn't see it
Old 12-07-2003, 09:28 AM
got poi?

tropic is an unknown quantity at this point

it doesnt matter if its loud or not i believe in the state of va.....anything that is not oem is illegal......when i first moved up here i shipped my integra from hawaii.....they pulled me over for going 40 in the 35.....i know it was stupid then the cop did a full walk through of my integ.....he seen my exhaust.....and he said that he was gonna write me a ticket for it....i told him that i had papers for my exhaust....(recondition sticker).....because in the state of hawaii....we can modifiy our cars to a certain extent....just as long as we got recon stickers and proof of a "modified acceptance" we aint supposed to get tickets for it.....VA should really look into doing that....its a pain in the but because the lowest you could lower your car is like 1.3 to 1.5 inches with the minimum of "0" camber......your intake had to be connected to the inside fenderwell......anyway thats gettin off the subject....but as for the state of VA you aint gonna beat the "aftermarket exhaust" law
Old 12-07-2003, 09:39 AM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

You don't have to get an OEM exhaust for it to be legal ie not ALL aftermarket exhausts are illegal. It just has to be "...comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment..."

Good luck getting paperwork that says that from the company that made it.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+cod+46.2-1049
Old 12-07-2003, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

Originally posted by eng
You don't have to get an OEM exhaust for it to be legal ie not ALL aftermarket exhausts are illegal. It just has to be "...comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment..."
yea but the only thing that is like that would be a generic oem style replacement made by an no name aftermarket company, something you might get at a muffler shop if your stock exhaust has rusted through... i can't imagine any tuner exhausts would fit into that catagory as alot of cops will say even if its quiet if it doesn't look stock its illegal... i know its stupid but being a law on the books and telling it to a cop/judge, atleast with out a lawyer, is different
Old 12-07-2003, 12:35 PM
got poi?

Originally posted by eng

Good luck getting paperwork that says that from the company that made it.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+cod+46.2-1049
its not from the company if you are referring to me on my post....State of Hawaii has that "reconditioning sticker"...its like a saftey sticker you have to get it from a approved inspector.....
Old 12-07-2003, 01:29 PM
TheSpeedFactor.com

MR2FAST is an unknown quantity at this point

just say its the stock muffler. The officer doesn't have ANY proof that it isn't the factory exhaust, but only to say that it is what he surmised to be non-OE. Furthermore it was at night so he couldn't even see the exhaust well.

Seriously, just be like "It's stock, and its not loud; I honestly have no idea why I'm here".
Old 12-07-2003, 02:26 PM
got poi?

but most cars got the video camera inside of them.....IF they decide to use the camera as evidence he could be charged with .....i wanna say purgery....dont know if that is the correct word.....besides if you got time to change your muffler....just go ahead and do it.....just put on a cheap muffler.....because trust me the court charges and all that shit....plus the price for the ticket.....its gonna be around $80 plus......when you do change the muffler...bring the reciept and a picture of your car with the new muffler on......more than likely they will excuse it.....i not for certain....maybe someone else knows about it on here....

Quick Reply: Exhaust Court date soon