Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

eBay vehicle purchase question

Old 02-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nickbell228 has disabled reputation
Default eBay vehicle purchase question

Have a question about a purchase on eBay. I bought a 2000 Volvo V40 on there earlier this week. I'm in Virginia, the car is just across the border in Maryland. The ad stated that there would be an additional processing fee on top of the final bid, but did not state the amount. Maryland law states that dealers can charge up to $200.00. Well, I sent them the $500.00 deposit, and had made plans to pick the car up this weekend. Today they sent me an invoice with a $400.00 processing charge. It was a $2200 car, and they're trying to charge that. I asked him politely to refund my deposit and cancel the transaction. I pointed out that the part about Maryland state law from this link (http://www.mva.maryland.gov/2011-legislation.htm). They are trying to state that because I am not a Maryland state resident, they can basically charge me whatever they want, and are refusing to refund my deposit. From my understanding, that is not correct. Any way, basically what I'm getting at, is do I have any recourse? I paid the deposit using Paypal, but funded by my Visa debit card. I think disputing the charge may be an option. Yes, I am willing to walk away from a car over $200.00. I feel like I got duped, and I really don't think it's legal for them to be charging that amount. He told me they've never had any issue with any other buyers, but I imagine it's because none of their other buys have known the law. A friend said something about calling the Maryland attorney general if they actually are breaking the law. Any opinions, besides flames, are welcome. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:08 PM
RiverCitySyn

brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini
Default Re: eBay vehicle purchase question

Call the AG and check. The law limits what they can do, and if it doesn't have ifs ands and buts then they are breaking it.

Last edited by brandini; 02-22-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:34 PM
last breath first

gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup

each state varies in processing fee. That law that states that Maryland can charge up to $200 is for Maryland residents. So by you being in Virginia they can charge you the $400. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe thats how we did it at the dealership I used to sell cars at.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:06 AM
RiverCitySyn

brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini

Ah I didn't even think about that.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 AM
MARK IT ZERO

ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout

File a claim with PayPal and tell them to go get bent.

Why should they charge you twice the amount just because of where you live. Same paperwork right, just different state name up top?

Scumbags...
Old 02-22-2013, 06:31 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

Dispute the charge on paypal. paypal sides with the buyer 99% of the time, and if the dealer is doing somehting fucked up you'll get your money back.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

Paypal will not dispute it due to the amount only being the security deposit. I talked to the Maryland DMV Dealer Complaint division today. They said residency does not play a factor in the processing fee. I told this to the seller and asked for my deposit back again. They said no again, and changed their story to the fee being $200 processing, and a $195.00 online auction fee. There is no mention of an online auction fee in the listing. I can dispute it with Bank of America because I paid with my Visa debit card. I'm willing to go this route, but I don't know how likely I am to win. I don't want to pay the $400.00 for sure, but I'd rather do that than lose my $500.00 deposit. Here is the link to the auction. Any more opinions are welcome.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221187844391...84.m1439.l2649
Old 02-22-2013, 12:07 PM
MARK IT ZERO

ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout

Did they go back in afterward and put in "There is an extra processing fee!" or was that there?

Some sketchy wording there.

Also, "Mr.Zee?"

And if we're talking greater than $100, I'm not dealing with someone with less than 99% ebay feedback, but that's just me.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

That was there. That's the $200.00 dealer processing fee that I'm talking about that I would feel they're allowed to charge. But it doesn't say anything about an additional $195.00 "Online Auction Fee" that they're charging me for. So you think I'm SOL because I didn't specifically ask that they're processing fee wasn't a bunch of extra bullshit that they hid?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:46 PM
MARK IT ZERO

No I don't think so.

They can't just decide to randomly add in random fees as they see fit.

That's bullshit. I would dispute it with BOA and take the gamble that you win.

It seems pretty black and white, they added a undisclosed fee, seems like BOA should side with you.

Quick Reply: eBay vehicle purchase question