Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Dyno App for the iPhone

Old 07-31-2008, 08:51 PM
+RepCarebearCrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!
Default Re: Dyno App for the iPhone

Originally Posted by ACCORDKID
HOLY COLLEGE COURSES BATMAN!

whatever you do for a living i hope you make a lot of money. i was litteraly laughing reading that because of the technicality of what you said. but well put.
seriously fabrik8 has the most indepth posts, it must be a pain to explain shit in simple terms to women
Old 07-31-2008, 08:53 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I'm just a hopeless nerd like that. I'm back in school, finally getting a degree at 31. And I'm broke because of it. Trust me, knowledge and money don't always go together..
Old 07-31-2008, 09:03 PM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
I'm just a hopeless nerd like that. I'm back in school, finally getting a degree at 31. And I'm broke because of it. Trust me, knowledge and money don't always go together..
idgaf! you could prolly think up a foolproof way to break into a bank and be out with mad loot, seriously, nga,uaintdum
Old 07-31-2008, 09:17 PM
Function > Form

RobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to all

My friend got this today, you plug in your vehicles weight and go WOT for around an eighth mile then you get an estimate, so its not very accurate.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:04 AM
uses cruise control

tangoDelta can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by Brock Obama
LOL

The real number is classified.

No, its not. This information is taught to many service members, including those without security clearances. It is also available on the internet from many different sources.

The PLGR is a very commonly used military GPS system so lets try that one out.

ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/NE/Out...plgrappx_c.pdf - States < 1 meter accuracy.

http://www.ion.org/museum/files/PLGR-9~1.PDF - States < 1 meter accuracy.

If its good enough for a M198 then its good enough for me! The key (no pun intended) is to have the crypto-key, otherwise the PLGR, DAGR and any other military used GPS only has the accuracy of a civilian GPS. None of this is OPSEC so don't try to nail me on that one

Last edited by tangoDelta; 08-01-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:22 AM
formerly Black_Man

Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Normal, fairly constant speed isn't that hard, it's an sampled average vs. time, so if your speed isn't rapidly changing, it can pretty well calculated from the GPS position. Rapid changes in speed are hard because the calculations either have to wait for the next GPS position and until then use dead reckoning based on the derivative of the speed (which is acceleration). Also, by the time the GPS position is calculated, you're not there anymore and you're moving at a non-constant speed.

Help, I can't shut my brain off.
Your speed is a vector, and so is your position. But vectors are straight lines, so when you reach the next datapoint, you may not be going that same speed, and you may not have traveled on a straight line. So at that next datapoint you aren't where the software thought you'd be. All of these things add up to a lot of guessing, which is a lot of cumulative error (most of which is compensated, but that has error too), and then add in the position error, etc..

1/4 mile accuracy gets worse because the position of the GPS isn't generally good for more than about 15 meters, which is roughly 50 feet. This could also be as good as 1 to 5 meters, but how do you actually know what the accuracy is at any given time or position when you're moving?
So that's +/-50 feet where you're starting, and +/-50 feet where you end. So it could be up to +/-100 ft off of a 1/4 mile, plus the obvious speed error too. SO every time you get a datapoint from the GPS, the software tries to correct what it guessed based on what it now knows. But what it now knows has some error..

I'll just end this boring lesson by saying that even if your software is perfect, you can still only be as good as the hardware, and that's limited by the global system. If we could use the military GPS data, then you could get position down to about 30 cm (that was the last I heard; might have changed).

Can you tell I used to have to interface with (aftermarket) GPS hardware at a former employer?

so have you and einstien had a talk lately?
Old 08-01-2008, 06:51 AM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by tangoDelta
No, its not. This information is taught to many service members, including those without security clearances. It is also available on the internet from many different sources.

The PLGR is a very commonly used military GPS system so lets try that one out.

ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/NE/Out...plgrappx_c.pdf - States < 1 meter accuracy.

http://www.ion.org/museum/files/PLGR-9~1.PDF - States < 1 meter accuracy.

If its good enough for a M198 then its good enough for me! The key (no pun intended) is to have the crypto-key, otherwise the PLGR, DAGR and any other military used GPS only has the accuracy of a civilian GPS. None of this is OPSEC so don't try to nail me on that one
Yeah okay.

What they tell the knuckle dragging enlisted pukes and publish in TMs is different from what the system is actually capable of.