Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Dodge Stealth Advice needed..want to buy

Old 06-05-2005, 08:11 AM
yard man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
professorman has disabled reputation
Default Dodge Stealth Advice needed..want to buy

I am looking on a base 93 Dodge stealth for my girlfriend. I love the looks of the car, but was seriously dissapointed with the performance of it. I wanted to know if thise is normal with the SOHC base model Steatlh

The car has 164hp/ 185tq but it weighs little over ~ 3000 lbs.

The car feels very sluggish.
The main problem I see is that it did not downshift when I floored the gas pedal, this causes it to NOT accelerate much more when I floor it versus normal pressing it.
Do you think this is a serious transmission problem?
The second thing I observe is that it jerks when i move it from park into reverse.

I drive a stick shift, so I do not know if this is normal with autos.

I also notice that the brakes were not sharp, and thise contribute to the car feeling so heavy like a massive piece of metal. Is this normal?

What are your opinions on this car?
it is a 93 Stealth selling for $2800....Is this a poor value for money?
Old 06-05-2005, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

hornetsnest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dodge Stealth Advice needed..want to buy

Originally Posted by profroopchan
I also notice that the brakes were not sharp, and thise contribute to the car feeling so heavy like a massive piece of metal. Is this normal?

What are your opinions on this car?
it is a 93 Stealth selling for $2800....Is this a poor value for money?
A 12 year old car that weighs more like 3300-3400lbs and is 164hp FWD is gonna turn and brake like "a massive piece of metal".

The tranamission...well, see above...it's a 12 year old car. If its the same stock auto, it's probably due for a rebuild or at least some service work to it.

If the car is in sound working order and the paint is decent, Id say buy it.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:16 AM
yard man

Originally Posted by hornetsnest
A 12 year old car that weighs more like 3300-3400lbs and is 164hp FWD is gonna turn and brake like "a massive piece of metal".

The tranamission...well, see above...it's a 12 year old car. If its the same stock auto, it's probably due for a rebuild or at least some service work to it.

If the car is in sound working order and the paint is decent, Id say buy it.
well, I am not looking to spend alot of money in repairs. The paint is shiny red.
I just dont want a car that will need major repairs (i.e. transmission repairs) anytime soon.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:20 AM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

PM VR-4ever, he knows a lot about these kinda cars.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:38 PM
EF turd

DirtyEF is on a distinguished road

all autos jerk like that, thats how you know they're in gear
Old 06-05-2005, 02:55 PM
yard man

Originally Posted by matt067
all autos jerk like that, thats how you know they're in gear
okay...thanks...i was wondering if that was normal...

well, we weren't really seriously car shopping as yet, but it was her neighbour was selling it and told her dad about it, and thats when i started investigating it...I have always liked these cars and wanted one...I am not sure what her budget it right now...but she would be buying it off her credit card, so i dont want her to rush into something bad....and besides...she already has a neon...althought its not the greatest of cars, but i want her to get a car that i can have fun with too.

I checked the blue book value of it, and it says its about ~$2800...but when i check autotrader.com, it seems hard to find one for that price...
I will search around in the for sale section and see if i can come up with anything.

Her dad is supposed to get it checked out by a mechanic on monday...do you think it is worth it? or do you think we should just forget this one?
Old 06-05-2005, 05:29 PM
mytinycar

tsiguy has disabled reputation

forget about it, go to the MAG auction on military highway with that $2800 and get something. go to their website http://www.4mag.com/ and get the prelisting of cars that wil be there. the keys are in the cars and you can check em out, start it up, check whatever, then bid....
Old 06-06-2005, 07:23 AM
yard man

Originally Posted by tsiguy
forget about it, go to the MAG auction on military highway with that $2800 and get something. go to their website http://www.4mag.com/ and get the prelisting of cars that wil be there. the keys are in the cars and you can check em out, start it up, check whatever, then bid....
okay...that sounds like a good idea..does anyone else know of any other public or good auctions around the hampton roads area?
Old 06-06-2005, 08:56 AM
Jay
VR-4ever

Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay

First off, it's a dohc. ~220hp If a sohc is really in there, it is not the original motor.

Check to see that 60K mile and 120K mile service has been done. (Timing belt). This is VERY important.

You can always convert to TT using VR-4 manifolds, etc....

That's about it.... If it drives well, doesn't leak, and get the timing service done, you should be good.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:24 AM
dudeman

puffdepyropunk is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought for sure stealths cam in a 160 Hp configuration. I think it's the ES that comes with that motor because i almost got one but it was SLOOWWWW.

Quick Reply: Dodge Stealth Advice needed..want to buy