Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Do I have to have a third brake light?

Old 02-09-2007, 05:57 AM
Fanboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B
Default Do I have to have a third brake light?

I know some cars don't have them... can I pass inspection w/o one? Could I wire up a plug under my bumper and stick one on when needed?

There may or may not be some shaving going on in the future.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:20 AM
Pre-"Crash" Member

growley growley growley growley growley growley growley growley
Default Re: Do I have to have a third brake light?

Shaving of what?

If it's on the car, it has to work.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:23 AM
Double Agent HT

ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL

If it came on the car, it has to be there. All vehicles came with a third after a certain year. Same as airbags.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:53 AM
Registered Member

FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam

^^^ what he said. But usually if its shaven and GONE off the car, not just not working the inspector probably wont even notice its gone....unless he's a corvette fan.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:02 AM
Registered Member

91 litesho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Floda$E-R
^^^ what he said. But usually if its shaven and GONE off the car, not just not working the inspector probably wont even notice its gone....unless he's a corvette fan.
^^^^^ wut he said.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:04 AM
Banned

Hi Skuuu has disabled reputation

If the light is on the vehicle, it needs to operate. Third brake lights aren't necessary and if you "shave it" in the future, the inspector wont argue with you about it.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:09 AM
Double Agent HT

ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL

Originally Posted by Smokeless EF
If the light is on the vehicle, it needs to operate. Third brake lights aren't necessary and if you "shave it" in the future, the inspector wont argue with you about it.

they may not be necessary, but if it came on the car, it needs to be there and be functional. Just like airbags. It's a vdot thing. But just as was said, what they dont know wont hurt them, shaved, and your def. fine.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:35 AM
FUCK!

JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude

Yeah... if you go down to the area near the bulivard where the nissan repair place is there's a street further down called Happy St. and that dude will pass just about anything, my friend had blacked out sections on his tails and stuff and all he said is that it was Optional from the factory and he passed him...
Old 02-09-2007, 07:59 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by JamesPrelude
Yeah... if you go down to the area near the bulivard where the nissan repair place is there's a street further down called Happy St. and that dude will pass just about anything, my friend had blacked out sections on his tails and stuff and all he said is that it was Optional from the factory and he passed him...

you moron.

Originally Posted by Smokeless EF

wrong. any passenger vehicle made after 1986 and any multipurpose vehicle after 1994 is required to have a CHMSL. it cannot flash either.

you can move it, but just make sure that the light is of an approved type (read: DOT approved) there are some nice small LED lamps that can be installed and hidden easily.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

I'm thinking I could have a wire that comes down above my license plate area, just like my tow hit wiring... I could plug it in and stick it to the area when needed.

Quick Reply: Do I have to have a third brake light?