Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Do all auto insurance companies check with your DMV for your driving record?

Old 04-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sandfrog has disabled reputation
Default Do all auto insurance companies check with your DMV for your driving record?

I got some minor accident on my record, something like bumping into someone and leaving a dent, I don't even really remember it was like 4 years ago. Anyway, this car was a rental that I dented and a very expensive one at that, ended up being 2500 to fix even though I could have popped the dent out for free. But because of this incident, state farm and geico are charging me out the wazoo because I'm a 20 year old male with speeding tickets and this accident thing that happened a long ass time ago. The difference without the accident on there is amazing, so I'm trying to find a place that will ignore this thing that happened in SEP of 04. Anyone know of a place?
Old 04-26-2007, 01:57 AM
Registered Member

jdawgs92ludesi has disabled reputation
Default Re: Do all auto insurance companies check with your DMV for your driving record?

wait till september and they all will. lets just say my driving record isnt so clean and progressive treats me well
Old 04-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

pixie
Default Re: Do all auto insurance companies check with your DMV for your driving record?

progressive is good to people without a clean record. All negative points (tickets,accidents)stay on your record for three years. If you don't need to change insurance yet then wait until september for three years and that will be off your record. But yes insurance companies check driving records.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Sandfrog has disabled reputation

Yep, ended up going with Progressive. Awesome rates. Went from 250 with Geico to 180 with Progressive. Kick ass.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Banned

R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King

Originally Posted by pixie
progressive is good to people without a clean record. All negative points (tickets,accidents)stay on your record for three years. If you don't need to change insurance yet then wait until september for three years and that will be off your record. But yes insurance companies check driving records.
i didnt know it only stayed for 3 years
Old 04-27-2007, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Swampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond repute

accidents are assigned to you two ways. Both on your MVR (motor vehicle report) and through a CLUE report. Clue will list insurance pay outs by your SS#, address, and DL license #. Insurance companies run these as well.

Infractions will only stay on your license for 3 years but insurance companies will look back 5 to see how you were the previous 2 years. DUIs stay on for life and Reckless driving records stay for 11 years. Your points may fall off but the infraction remains for anyone who pulls up your MVR.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:52 PM
OG from 2000

SHOFEAR94 SHOFEAR94 SHOFEAR94

Its not a mystery what I do for a living but basically what Swampass said is right. "Most" insurance companies *charge* for 3 years of activity and underwrite (or take into consideration) for 5 years or more. If the accident was reported and there was a payout..whether it was $800 or $50,000, you will see a surcharge to your rates. And if you are 20 years old, have tickets, you are not the cream of the crop and are a risky driver and will pay more. Progressive Insurance caters more so to higher risk drivers, Allstate and State Farm want prefered groups of drivers, and GEICO is sort of a mismash of everyone. Remember, your DMV points total is not the same as insurance points.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

Swampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond repute

I'll echo what shofears says as that's also accurate. BTW, I underwrote for 4 years with a certain to be un named insurance company...judging by your location, we probably work(ed) for the same one.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:50 AM
######

L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K

My insurance doesnt really care about your record as long as you dont have a wreckless
Old 05-01-2007, 07:26 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by EGCivic123
My insurance doesnt really care about your record as long as you dont have a wreckless
They care more than you know.

Quick Reply: Do all auto insurance companies check with your DMV for your driving record?