Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Detailers: Terry Cloths: Throw Away or Keep?

Old 09-20-2012, 09:48 AM
braap braap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod
Default Detailers: Terry Cloths: Throw Away or Keep?

I'm just curious to see who actually cleans their wax rags and pads and who just throws them away.

I never dry mine but I do soak them in water and soap to break the wax down then I wash them in my washer. Probably not the best thing for them but I'm cheap and I use alot of rags(hehe).

I'm sure Flite will chime in shortly.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Zombies found Waldo

buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie
Default Re: Detailers: Terry Cloths: Throw Away or Keep?

I wax them pads like rag dolls and throw them away wet.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:17 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

haven't used terry cloths in years. I use microfiber for just about everything. The super soft sponge shit for wax application. Like the ones that comes with the meguiars kits. I wash and reuse the microfiber towels.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:09 AM
Registered Member

CE9Aevo is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Lake Country polishing pads (about $8/pad) and microfiber towels ($4-15/towel). A typical detail, every three months or so, I use 4-5 pads and about 8 microfiber towels. Wash, clay, swirl remover (cut), polish (light cut), glaze (no cut), and wax (softest).

I wash my pads with polishing pad rejuvenator. Soak in a bucket for 15 minutes, brush and massage pads to break up any wax buildup, rinse and allow to dry in the sun. I use Pinnacle microfiber detergent for my towels., just toss them in the washing machine. I am a detailing freak, I love slick, swirl-free paint.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:24 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Only time I use a terry cloth is for busting up paste wax that dried too long, or washing if I can't find a good sponge.

Microfibers. Use them.

But yes, we wash them in mild detergent, most of the time using Tide with NO FABRIC SOFTENER.

And no need to use a dryer sheet, the static actually helps them on cleaning ability.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:40 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

yea definitely no fabric softener, they are basically useless microfiber towels after that, it like repels the wax or if you are using a quick spray detailer it just spreads it around like water beading. made that mistake once ha.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:54 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Yeah, I had a former detail employee who claimed he was the best, blah blah blah fucked up 45 microfibers by washing them with Downy.

This is the same one who got pissed off that I pointed out the dirt he was missing, then explained "it's the details like this as to why its called detailing"

useless sack of shit.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:10 AM
Registered Member

^ most daily driver's will only need an AIO and shiny tires. They will not fully appreciate multi-step paint correction.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:11 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

hahaha, I felt the same way about a certain detailing business around here that was supposed to do good work that I will never go to again. Nice guy and all but he basically did nothing accept throw some wax on the car and wipe it off after he claimed to have pressure washed it, clayed it, polished it and waxed it. Car was still rough and I could still see the shit stuck to the paint so I know it wasnt clayed. Like obvious stuff you can see, it sure as shit wasnt polished cause the spots that really needed it and had crazy swirl marks and marred spots were still obviously there, he definitely put some wax on it but that was about it. I just laughed and left cause it wasn't my car or my money, will never go there again or reccomend them at all. I wanted to save myself some time but I figure Ill just have to suck it up and just do my own details from now on cause I can't stand places that claim they actually do the work but dont. I spend 12 to 14 hours doing a car and not satisfied unless someone else is as thorough as I am.

I thought to myself, you should just call yourself a car washer. not a detailer.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:31 AM
Registered Member

^ I agree. I detail as a hobby. I know that I could take a customers car; wash, dry, clay, cleaner/wax and have it out in < 60 minutes. I live on the peninsula and know many that wash,dry, and "hand" wax, they will charge ridiculous amounts for their sloppy service.

Quick Reply: Detailers: Terry Cloths: Throw Away or Keep?