Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Cold Air Intake Hydrolock Possible?

Old 10-16-2008, 10:52 AM
got 7.62?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited
Default Cold Air Intake Hydrolock Possible?

k

Last edited by eXploited; 11-08-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk
Default Re: Cold Air Intake Hydrolock Possible?

id worry
Old 10-16-2008, 10:56 AM
got 7.62?

eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited

Fuck.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

The risk is pretty low, but it only takes one time... I don't think I'd worry that much, just don't go driving around in floodwaters after the hurricanes come through.

I wouldn't really worry about where the filter is located in the bumper openings as much as the height of the filter above the ground. It would be very, very unlikely to get enough water around the filter from the front to cover it and get sucked up. It is more likely that if the filter is close to the ground, deep puddles or standing water could be a problem. Remember, with a filter like that, you have to almost completely enclose the filter with water before it will suck it up. If that doesn't happen you still have a path for air to flow and you won't get enough vacuum to lift the water. Just getting the filter wet isn't going to do anything at all as long as enough air can get it, which isn't hard to do. Water is heavy and thick and is much harder to move vertically than air obviously.

Cars that have slot intakes right at the edge of the hood are much more prone to stuff like that because it's comparatively easy to cover a slot intake, and if it's roughly the same height as the engine water doesn't have much work to do before it's inside the manifold.

You'd really have to take a good wave from the front to be in danger, but water from below might be an issue.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 10-16-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

1rude2l has disabled reputation

I would worry. Just recently buddy of mine had a 95 teg with a b18c5 swap. He orders a aem cai for it where the filter sat pretty much in front of the passenger tire. One morning with a decent rain he hydrolocked the motor. I pulled it out, it broke 1 rod and bent the rest. To me its not worth risking it.
If you are going to keep it like that at least get the bypass valve.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

bonestock94 has disabled reputation

The way it floods around here I'd be a bit paranoid. I remember aem had this little inline filter in the tubing closer to the intake manifold to prevent hyrdrolocking. Maybe you can retrofit one of those?

Edit: Ah, guy above me just said it, a bypass valve
Old 10-16-2008, 12:18 PM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

Deep water/puddles: Dont be an idiot trying to go wading through anything suspect

Problem solved. It is nothing to worry about if you have common sense.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:08 PM
got 7.62?

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
The risk is pretty low, but it only takes one time... I don't think I'd worry that much, just don't go driving around in floodwaters after the hurricanes come through.

I wouldn't really worry about where the filter is located in the bumper openings as much as the height of the filter above the ground. It would be very, very unlikely to get enough water around the filter from the front to cover it and get sucked up. It is more likely that if the filter is close to the ground, deep puddles or standing water could be a problem. Remember, with a filter like that, you have to almost completely enclose the filter with water before it will suck it up. If that doesn't happen you still have a path for air to flow and you won't get enough vacuum to lift the water. Just getting the filter wet isn't going to do anything at all as long as enough air can get it, which isn't hard to do. Water is heavy and thick and is much harder to move vertically than air obviously.

Cars that have slot intakes right at the edge of the hood are much more prone to stuff like that because it's comparatively easy to cover a slot intake, and if it's roughly the same height as the engine water doesn't have much work to do before it's inside the manifold.

You'd really have to take a good wave from the front to be in danger, but water from below might be an issue.

Awesome

I just stopped and picked up a INJEN Hydroshield to fit over the filter.. SO hopefully this will work it out.. If its raining drastically.. its staying parked lol.. But I appreciate the help bro! I will keep all that in mind!
Old 10-16-2008, 05:36 PM
ConflictedFelon

jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k

in virginia, i wouldn't worry about it honestly. not saying that i'd go doing burnouts in puddles, though. if you were worried about hydrolock, why didn't you get the aem dryflow filter? power wise, there isn't a whole hell of a lot of difference between a cai and a short ram...

Last edited by jarrett2k; 10-16-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:24 AM
got 7.62?

Originally Posted by jarrett2k
in virginia, i wouldn't worry about it honestly. not saying that i'd go doing burnouts in puddles, though. if you were worried about hydrolock, why didn't you get the aem dryflow filter? power wise, there isn't a whole hell of a lot of difference between a cai and a short ram...
I was thinking about the Dry Flow.. but SRI has to much heat soak in our engines.. The secret to getting every inch of power out of K series motors is TEMP. The cooler the better.. and K series are some HOTT ass engines.. And the SRI on our setup puts the filter right next to the header... Literally. SRI is the worst intake for K series.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake Hydrolock Possible?