Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Cobb ends development for Mazdaspeed

Old 04-08-2009, 07:46 PM
B Nice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW
Default Cobb ends development for Mazdaspeed

Found this on NABISCO (credit to b0nd18t)

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere but pretty interesting news from this thread:
http://forums.cobbtuning.com/forums/...ad.php?t=53017

"For quite some time, the MAZDASPEED community has, in large part, been confrontational, disrespectful, unprofessional, vulgar or childish regarding any announcements and/or business decisions COBB Tuning has made on public forums. Responses ranging from outrage and profanity to threats of intellectual property piracy have become the normal reaction when things don't go exactly to their wishes. No amount of professionalism, realism or rationale has worked in turning these communications into more constructive discussions.

Although COBB Tuning is a business, it is made up of enthusiasts that work here and they love what they do. Everyone gets a lot of satisfaction from taking on the hard projects like cracking and controlling the MAZDASPEED ecu and making it do what no one else does. When ongoing criticism to these efforts is "**** COBB" or "I'm going to hack your software and give it away" or "**** these OTS maps" or "Hopefully Cobb will get it's head out of it's ***", it tends to make everyone less enthusiastic about working on it.

We have decided to bring MAZDASPEED development to a close because no one at COBB finds it rewarding to put in the hours and hours of effort just to have so many people spouting negativity and insults. In fact, many of our pro tuners have been monitoring the MAZDASPEED forum discussions to gauge interest and have come back with "Uh, nevermind...not worth dealing with it" responses. It's a shame that while the MAZDASPEED community is demanding more performance products from manufacturers, the tribal infighting, Lord of the Flies atmosphere and unrestrained attitude displayed on the forums is actually driving choice and new development out of the market. It might be fun for some, but the entire community suffers as a whole.

Regards,

Gary Sheehan
Director of Marketing
COBB Tuning"
Wow.

Last edited by eng; 04-09-2009 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 04-08-2009, 08:33 PM

nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo
Default Re: Cobb ends development for Mazdaspeed

mazdaspeed owners are idiots and dumb as shit.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Registered member

catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh

daaammmnnn

hopefully COBB still will have a steady source of business with mazdaspeed no longer existing.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:57 PM
XGP15A-II

J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX

WOW, Lord of the Flies.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:59 PM
(. )( .) & 8====>

Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin'

Originally Posted by catfSSh
daaammmnnn

hopefully COBB still will have a steady source of business with mazdaspeed no longer existing.
subaru.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Registered member

catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh

Originally Posted by Kim Jong Illin'
subaru.
Still, I'm willing to bet a pretty big amount of what they made came directly from the mazdaspeed "branch"
Old 04-08-2009, 09:07 PM
(. )( .) & 8====>

Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin'

maybe. i don't know what mazda people use to tune, but cobb's accessport is one of the major tuning tools in the subaru community (aside from utec and opensource).

cobb will be fine, considering they're already offering the accessport for the "untunable" new gt-r.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

That's amazing. Enough idiots on a one-make automotive forum convinced an aftermarket company that an entire brand of cars isn't worth fucking with. Those Mazdaspeed guys sure must be seriously talented at being complete douchebags.

That link on Cobb's forum is broken; when was that marketing release posted?

This really pisses me off; companies go out of their way to make products for their cars and they actively drive them away. Just..wow. Way to support the aftermarket industry. This is the reason the ECU company I work for doesn't sell directly to individuals and only sells to aftermarket companies to be private-labeled.

Have fun making your own ECU tuning software if you drive a MazdaSpeed, because one of your best friends (Cobb) just left the table.

I'll keep the rest of my thoughts to myself so this stays fairly clean in case Cobb finds their way here from Google or something..
Old 04-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1

After working at Mazda for a while, and owning nothing but Mazda's I have to agree. Mazdaspeed guys have a high and mighty attitude and are kind of dickish towards other Mazda owners. I would say the Lord of the Flies comparison is pretty close considering they don't even care for their own.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

But why.. why is there such a sense of superiority when you own a fucking Mazdaspeed? I'm sure they're OK cars and all, but come on.. You'd think they were expensive or exclusive or something else that traditionally makes people act like a douche. But no.. just a Mazda..

Maybe I should become a elitist prick because I (like untold thousands of other people here in Colorado) drive a WRX..? Or maybe I'll just be content with the knowledge that no matter how much I like my $25k (when new) car, there will always be lots of other cars which are better, faster, more expensive, and more worthy of shoving in people's faces. You know, the faces of people who could go buy the exact same car for not very much money..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 04-08-2009 at 09:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Cobb ends development for Mazdaspeed