Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

"Chrysler's Shocking Promise: An EV by 2010"

Old 09-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall
Default Re: "Chrysler's Shocking Promise: An EV by 2010"

Originally Posted by Hybrid AWD
Yeah but what does that have to do with bringing foreign oil over from somewhere else? Who cares if it takes more ethanol per mile than it does for gasoline. If we are making it from corn, coal, wheat, tree bark, sugar cane, grass clippings, or anything else that is possible that is grown here in the United States and boosting the economy.... I say again, who cares.
ah, i see what you were getting at...i guess there could be gas tank capacity issues? fueling stations aren't everywhere, i would have to drive 20 miles just to get ethanol (that i know of right now) and it doesn't sound like these cars will be using much gasoline in our day to day commute, sounds like the gas is a backup for longer trips. Nothing would keep people from converting them over, or even leaving a flex fuel option in there.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:52 AM
I love WaWa

Paul Paul Paul Paul Paul Paul Paul Paul Paul Paul Paul

I would like to see a Grand Cherokee, or a Liberty. My Grand Cherokee is stuffed full of all sorts of Bicycle/Fishing/Racquetball gear right now.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

Originally Posted by Digger70chall
ah, i see what you were getting at...i guess there could be gas tank capacity issues? fueling stations aren't everywhere, i would have to drive 20 miles just to get ethanol (that i know of right now) and it doesn't sound like these cars will be using much gasoline in our day to day commute, sounds like the gas is a backup for longer trips. Nothing would keep people from converting them over, or even leaving a flex fuel option in there.
It'd really come down to figuring out how much power the generators are producing per gallon of gas. If it will produce enough power to allow the vehicle to travel over another 100+ miles by using 5 gallons of gas, it's still worth it in my opinion.
Also, I am really surprised they haven't considered may a solar panel roof style as an option. Granted, solar power itself isn't going to recharge the battery fast enough, and it's going to cost a ton, but I am just curious if it would even be any added advantage.
If any of you keep up with tech forums, magizines etc. you may have seen where they are starting to assemble solar panels via an assembly line. This should reduce the overall cost dramatically.

So back to the vehicles, I think this is a great step for Chrysler. Getting the price where the average consumer can afford these vehicles is the key. GM did a really lame job with the cost with the new "Hybrid" two-mode vehicles. Who in their right mind would pay 20% more for "50%" more efficency. And we're still only talking 20-22mpg city driving. It's just plain sad.
I just hope that Chrysler tries to keep the cars at a reasonable price.